Beginner wader: were is a good place to pratice wading? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BTMBASS Send a message via Yahoo to BTMBASS
Default Beginner wader: were is a good place to pratice wading?

Hello, i just got a pair of waders and am eager to try them out. I live by the Algonquin dam on the Fox river, would that be a good place to try them out? Or is there a better place to try them out and learn the ropes of wading? Thanks for the help in advance.-Ben
BTMBASS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

The best place would be somewhere you know very well... Where is that drop off??? Where is that underwater boulder??? Algonquin dam is running very shallow these days so it would be a good place to start wading... Just remeber to wear a chest belt in case you go under and to make me your beneficiary... It's spelled, JA-KNEE-SEA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's a good idea to take a buddy with in case of a fall or slip up. Anywhere shallow is good. go slow. feel for rocks. instead of fighting the current, keep your body perpindicular to shore (look at the shore-not upstream or downstream). Stay away from the dams until you know what you're doing. Most of the places I fish on the fox can be waded quite easily, pretty much able to cross wherever during low water. If you're standing in deep water...you should probably be fishing where you're standing! Good Luck!
AndyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2004, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

J-K-S, I have to be the smartie who tells him to get marbles and billard balls and bath oil in the tub? Just too much pressure on me now.

Actually I would find a small ditch or stream that flows into where you want to fish or Kankakee state park above the bridge. Hug the shallows till you get it figured out. Wet wading will teach you a lot but getting cold soon.

I learned trapping. Quicksand, culvert washouts, ice, and electric fence wires. Maybe I just survived trapping. Barbed wire, tire rims, sheet metal, angry holstein bull calves....

Old 09-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

DO NOT...I repeat....DO NOT.....wade where Blu learned to wade. You be messed up for life too. (lol....sorry Blu)

These guys are right, start shallow and stay shallow until you have learned a few how to's (from your own experience). Do not forget the chest belt, if you do fall it will help slow the water rushing into the waders. may even save your life. keep your eyes open and your sense of touch (in your feet) sharp. you do not need to hurry. Gradually work yourself into the deeper water and stonger currents. if you do not feel safe, don't do it!!

wading can be a great way of getting to the fish and you really do get to see more wildlife and nature when you are in stealth mode. i have been able to walk upto the holes where fish are hanging out and literally be right next to them before they know i am there and run. have seen some really big ones scurry out of the holes, from behind a fallen tree, or even a rock pile. Good luck and remember SAFETY first, HtD
Old 09-29-2004, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would also recommend getting a walking stick (a wading staff is probably the correct term) or even a strong stick from the forest preserves. Tie a light cord to it and then tie the cord to your waders. This way you have the stick when you need it to move and can just let it go when you don't. I feel a whole lot more confident with a wading stick. Another tip, if your stick is as long as your waders are high, it can keep you out of water that is too deep.

And not so seriously, a third arm always seems like it would be a good thing to have while wading! One to hold your fish pole, two to bait your hook or tie on a different lure. It can be tricky when you are knee-deep in water!

Have fun, use your head. Tell us how you do!
Old 09-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

From experience...... albeit in waist deep water.
If you do go down. Dont panic or fight and struggle! Full waders are HEAVY. But you can still float. Get your feet pointed down river and let the current take ya. A hole is just that. A hole. There should be higher ground around it.
Sounds easy now eh?
Old 09-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

read your post under the Fox board. again I would not start wading at Algonqiun but try Cville until you are comfortable.with the new flood gate at Algonqiun there are lots of boulders to trip over and somewhat deep hole that are new and sudden.

Brent
Old 09-30-2004, 07:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

About the only concern I had about waders was the falling in and filling 'em up with water. Not that it's ever happened to me, but wearing a belt (better yet one of those "fanny pack" things to carry lures, hooks, baits, etc.) pretty much takes care of that problem.
I'd suggest wearing a flotation vest on unfamiliar waters. It'll keep your head up, and provide more pockets to fill with stuff.

All Generalizations are false. Including this one.
Little Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in