Check out this fish!! - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 03:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Arent snakes head those fish that they drained that lake up in wherever to try and get rid of? What was so bad about them again, just hogs?
Itwasthisbig is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2004, 06:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thats a snakeshead! look at the ventral fin. Also, the teeth farther back in the mouth, so unless you pry it open, you may not see them. I will link this pic to a CPO and see what he says.
fishstalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2004, 07:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

You may be right Bob, FT, the lower jaw is longer also.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'd have to say Burbot. "No teeth" would be the giveaway. Burbot are the only ones with very small teeth like a Largemouth or Smallmouth. The Snakefish and Dogfish/Bowfin both have larger teeth and would be much more visable.

The only thing missing is the single barb/whisker that should be on the lower jaw of a burbot. But this could have been lost via predators at any time in it's life. So occasionally they are missing.

Could be a hybrid of some sorts, but my money is on a burbot...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default ugly fish

How do I contact the dnr? I looked on the website and couldn't find a "contact us" phone number. I could end an email, and there are links for those, but if anybody's got a phone number....let me know. I was doing a little surfing last night, and everything I can find on the Burbot says that its a great eating fish, and nothing says that its in a class with the goby. I'm surprised that after all this time, not only have I never caught one before....but that I've never even heard of them before.
gotfish? is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Call them down in Springfield and they can give you a local contact number. 217-782-6302.

Btw, you didn't net it, you caught it on a hook...
815-744-1380
Old 10-10-2004, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Burbot have really tiny scales and two dorsal fins. Their bottom jaw is also shorter that the top jaw. I've seen burbot and that doesn't look like one to me. I've got $20 that says it's a Northern Snakehead. :wink:

Gotfish, pry that fish jaws open (carefully) and see if it has teeth set back well into the jaws.. not on the lips.

(that photo a couple posts above of the fish's mouth is of a Giant Snakehead.. not a Northern Snakehead)

You could try calling the T.I.P. number and see if you can get a DNR officer to come and check it out. 1-877-236-7529

Otherwise you'll probably have to wait until Tuesday to get a hold of someone at the regional offices.
Carpkabobber is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2004, 01:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well it's down to the Burbot and Northern Snakehead. From the photos it's hard to tell but it does look like a split after the main dorsal. The jaw thing isn't consistent enough to be the tell tale sign. The head of a Northern snakefish actually should be flatter and more like a Pike's head. But again, the shape of the head can vary from fish to fish just like the jaw length....

If there's two dorsals, it's a Burbot. If it's a single dorsal it's a Northern Snakehead. Teeth would also be a telltale sign, but the dorsals should be the dead give away
815-744-1380
Old 10-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Definitly looks like a snakehead to me!! the nose is almost identical to the picture show to compare bowfin aand snakehead!!!
Ive caught a dogfish before and its nose is rounder almost like a channel cats
When i caught it I thought it was a cross between a catfish and a northern
jhku98 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2004, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

From the comparison picture, I'd say snakehead too. Look at the long anal fin. The bowfin's is short. This thing needs to be shown to the authorities for confirmation. Good job on being alert enough to check.
El Carpo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in