Off to the Mississippi.... - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Off to the Mississippi....

Well its 2 AM and in another hour Ill be on my way to Bellevue to fish for a few days on the Mississippi. Never fails....every time I know Im going to head out for a few days of fishing and I have to get out early..
you got it...too anxious and cant get a wink of sleep. Eye balls bugging and checking the clock every 15 mins. My name is fishinjas1, and I have a problem and today I am here to admit "I am a fisherman"!

Anyways, we are going to fish for Walleye early near the dam and after we hit our limit we are going to head down river a bit to hit our little honey hole for some Bluegills and Crappie. Around Midnight we will hit the wall by the dam( if its not blocked from the rehab of the locks) and do some more Walleye fishing . Sleep a while and then work the wing dams a bit , maybe a few more Gills and about then its time to pack it up and head back home. Ill throw a post on with some pics when we get back and let everyone know whats working and whats not.

Fishinjas1
Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW--What a Ride!!!"
fishinjas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

looking forward to the pics and rigs used. Never fished that way, but did make to Savanna a few times. Mainly a Lake Pepin, Redwing, Winona, MN and Lacross WS Mississippi guy. Hope you do well.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fished there some years back
can't remember the name of the place I stayed at
Would like to go back
Were do you stay?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Fish,
I'm the same way before a trip. So anxious. Can't sleep.
We all wish you a wonderful time and are looking forward for your report.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey all,
Well we got back Late Thursday and I havent been able to got here untill now.
We got on the water about 7am Wed morning and started looking for fish on the Illinois side. I was using a 3 way with a 3/4 oz. ball jig with 3 in. shad body tipped with minnow on a 12" dropper and a #6 red circle hook on a 3 ft lead on top tipped wiyh minnows. You have to use stinger hooks here as well. 10 mins. into fishing I had a nice fish on...2 mins. later it was gone. -1 fish and a stinger hook! 2nd fish was huge as well. My buddy was hoping he had a teen Walleye on but after a while fighting he pulled up a 20-25 lb Sheephaed. I was and he was . Unfortunatly, this was the only pic we were able to take the whole time. The batteries puked out after 2 pics and we never got any more. Anyways, fishing was great...left the dam area at about 11:30 am with a 2 man limit of Walleye and Sauger all 16-18 inch and a Bunch of Stripers. No big Walleyes were caught by us but had 100+ fish morning. One guy had a 10 3/4 lb. Walleye that DNR was taking stats from at the launch when we went to lunch.
After lunch we hit our "honey hole" for some Bluegill and Crappie. We got into some nice Bluegill action with only a few Crappie. All Bluegill kept were 8"+...biggest at 10 1/2". Left with about 30. We were fishing Ice jigs tiped with a half a garden worm for the Gills and tipped with a minnow for the Crappie. A few Gills hit the minnows as well.
Thursday Morning we hit the water about an hour before sun up. We began nailing more Stripers, only now we are into a school of 1 1/2lb-2 lb. fish. Only a few were small. This went on for about 45 mins. and we kept only 6 a piece. Walleye and Sauger action didnt even exist until about 9 am. We did get a limit by about 1. Still the great eaters but no hogs. We headed into the back waters to try for some more Crappie and managed a few more keepers for the effort along with 15 or so Bass we released. All in all we had a great trip with an easy 100+ fish days each and plenty for eating. Although we usually hit the wall after dark and fish quite a bit later, we already had our limits and didnt get to fish it this trip. Theres times when the wall can be non stop action for hours after dark ripping blade baits.
We usually stay at the little Hotel(3-4 rooms) right across from the boat launch/ above the bar and restaurant. Cost about $45 a night. The motel down the road is $ 50 a night which is where we stayed this time.There is no really cheap places to stay. Although there is a campground pretty close on the Illinois side that I have stayed at a few times.
Im hoping to get back real soon but dont know if my partner can make it( he has the boat,mine is up North). So, if anyone is interested in hooking up and going down for a day or two drop me a PM.Ill share the expenses and show you the area and the how to's. I have been going there for over 12 yrs and pretty much know what works.

fishinjas1
Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW--What a Ride!!!"
fishinjas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fishinjas,
Sounds to me like you guys had a great time. Looks like you have done lots of homework out there too. You're going to have to go get that boat of yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in