Looking for a dog - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a dog

I am looking for a lab pup. I would like to get one befor March does anyone have any advice on what to look for, not to look for, or a particular breeder that they like. Any info would be great.
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2004, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you're looking for a hunting lab do your research labs have been over bred and finding a good hunting dog might be tough... were you looking for a good ol fashion flushing lab or one of the new hip pointing labs either way to go www.versatiledogs.com and do some research on breeders
Cringe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2004, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cringe, I don't agree with the "overbred" statement. Quite the contrary. Labs are probably one of the most diverse breeds out there. Certainly the most popular. Maybe I'm misinterpretting what you mean by "overbred"??? In my mind the definition would be where the genepool became so limited within a certain breed. And that gene pool is made up of mostly undesireable traits. The Irish Setter would probably fall under this criteria. A lot of linebreeding was done by many folks that didn't know what they were doing. The end result was an Irish Setter that was dumb as a rock. Now this has come around since then. And there are now very good lines of Irish Setters available. But this is what I think of when somebody states "overbred". Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

what i meant i guess i said wrong alot of labs have had the hunting instinct bred out of them....i'm not saying there aren't great hunting labs anymore as i've hunted over a few of them i'm just saying its harder to come by good hunting lines in a lab same as a weim or the viszla it just takes some research to find what you're looking for
Cringe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's been a while since I got my dog, but I'm going to be in the market again soon.

You can check out Topbrass retrievers. I think they deal mostly in Goldens. They used to be local, but I'm not sure if they still are.

There was also a retriever club that operated around the Elgin area. I think it was called the Fox Valley Retriever club. It was for all kinds of retrievers. You may try to find them and contact them about getting a pup.

I personally would stay away from the "I got a buddy who breeds his lab sometimes..." It's no guarantee, but it never hurts to find a professional breeder where the sire and dam (and their parents, grandparents, ...) both have a lot of titles. Hunting titles are important (FC, MH), but show and obedience don't hurt. A dog with these titles is going to be more expensive, but if you figure out the price difference over the lifetime of the dog, it's not that much more.

You might also investigate started dogs.

All this assumes you're looking for a hunting dog.
BigD1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the dog. Upland, water fowl, both, niether.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Guy's
FishArt you are right 100% I had an Irish Setter and his blood line was just great many many champ's and pretty you could not ask for better loved my kids and a great house dog BUT!!! dumb as a doorknob ! Just T show you how dumb he was on our bed (2 Floor) and saw our little girl playing in the backyard and jumped out the window screen and all needless to say that was the end of him ! Trapper
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yikes Trapper! Gotta watch that first step eh? Not to make light of the poor pooch of course, but that did make me chuckle. Sometimes you have to wonder what's goin on in their noggins huh???
815-744-1380
Old 12-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

I found a good breeder. Both Sire and Dam are OFA-ed-Good and CERF-ed. Sire is a pretty good duck, pheasant and goose dog. Momma is not a hunter but has a few Titled dogs in her 3 generation pedigree. The sire is the real proven dog, AFC FC.

I have had the oppertunity to hunt behind one of his offspring a few times, that dog can hunt. So, I think I found a litter now I have to pick a pup. I don't have a preferance male vs. female, if anyone has some opinoins on this it sure would be appriciated.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is a coin toss in my opinion.

First off, if you're planning on getting the pooch spayed or neutered (ouch!) then I don't think it really matters.

Some will say Males tend to wander more but I think that's only if you don't get them neutered. Some will say that a male will bond better to their owner than a female. I don't know, I've only owned females. I believe the bond will be strong with either $ex as long as you spend plenty of time with the dog.

Some will say males will tend to take you leg for a ride. Again, I haven't owned any males but I believe this is probably (again) if you don't get the pooch neutered. Furthermore, the TWO female Labs I've owned - whom were spayed, BOTH would remove the pillows from my couch and go to town. Neither ever got over this. To this day I have to make sure the pillows are out of reach. (This was a fun one explaining to my young boys by the way, cuz I couldn't even explain it - lol!)

After spaying, I've heard that females may have difficulty keeping the weight off and their bodies go thru some funky hormonal changes. I've heard otherwise about the weight thing from breeders (& proper exercise). But, both my Labs did indeed get a bit flabby undernrathe and weren't able to shed it.

All in all, pretty minor issues. And again, I don't think it matters one bit if you're not planning on breeding or studding the dog. Also, this has just been my few experiences - certainly not enough cases to draw any definite conclusions from. Close your eyes and pick one if it doesn't matter (Or better yet, tell the breeder what you're looking for and let him/her pick).

Oh one last thing, any health/temperament guarantee offered and if so how long? 18 months is about average with reputable breeders. It'll take a year before you can even get the hips and elbows x-ray'd so I would put a fairly heavy emphasis on a warranty in writing...
815-744-1380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in