Trap Guns - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trap Guns

I am looking to buy a trap gun. I am looking for some input. I have been looking at the Remington 11-87 semi auto and the Beretta A390 and 303. I originally had my mind made up to buy an over under but I have been ready some good things about the Remington and Beretta semi auto's. Also, a decent semi auto seems to be a lot cheaper then decent over under. I am looking to spend around 500. Any recommendations about a decent over under in that price range? What do you guys prefer the semi autos or the O/U? I am a little bit concerned about shells jamming in the Semi-Auto. Thanks for you help.
shawn244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

The 1100 was much more susceptible to jamming than the 11-87. I've got an 11-87 and the only time it jammed was this past year during deer season (Yes, a very, very bad time indeed). And that was because of the shell case. Upon closer inspection there was a small imperfection where the brass met the plastic. Sort've a little lip that would catch. They were Federals btw. The ones w/o any "edge" worked fine. I now inspect every slug that goes into the chamber before each deer hunt. Of course if I would've hit the deer on my first shot it wouldn't have been a problem!

O/U's are nice to have in a two shot situation with the different barrel/choke choices. Plus they're nice from a traditional standpoint. Some of the persnickety folks might frown upon a non-O/U being used. Again probably from a traditional sense but also because one can't pop open the gun like an O/U to let everybody know that there's no "fire in the hole". Other than that, I think the 11-87 would be fine - just watch your shells and definitely stay away from the cheap ones. My buddy had some major issues with his 1100 with the Fiochi (sp?) shells. Same deal - they ALL had a little lip on the brass that would turn his auto into a single shot.

In general my 11-87 is a workhorse. I'm guilty of not doing thorough cleanings and such and if I choose good shells, it has never let me down...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

shawn244

Are you only going to use it for trap? or for other clay target sports, or would it ever go hunting?

Do you want a brand name?
Does the gun have to carry prestige?
Or are you like me, it the gun fits, shoots, and takes them down you don't care if it's ugly !

I'm not trying to bre funny. these are questions you must ask if you are going to be happy with your choice.
salu1952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Are you looking for a new or used gun?

If you are worried about the reliability of a semi have you thought about a pump action?

I have a browning citori O/U use it for trap, but I have a remmington 870 magnum which I use for hunting but I have shot trap with it. I also have a slug barrel for it. An experianced shooter can operate a pump action as fast as a semi some guys even faster.

You can get a used remmington w/both barrels in good condition for about 300. I have many shotguns but the 870 which was my first is my favorite.

Good luck.
wojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your replys guys. I currently shot the Benelli Nova pump in camo for duck and goose and I have taken a little bit of a ripping taking it to trap range I have been thinking that the semi auto is the way to go for me. I am pretty sure I would like to have a gun that I can take to the trap range and also out to the field to hunt. I have been reading alot about the gas operated semi autos. They seem to very little recoil. I could shot a hundred or so rounds and not feel it to much in my shoulder and still another solid gun to take into the field. I think I have narrowed it down a little to the Winchester Super X2, Berrta AL390, or the Remington 11-87.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Salu:
I do not think the gun needs to have prestiuge. But I would like a Brand name. I am open to used guns. Actually, I have also been looking for an old Stevens Side by Side. A lot of my buddies hate the idea of a side by side. They seem to think they are to heavy to use in field and obstruct or view of the bird in trap shooting. I have seen a couple I liked but the barrell has been really short 24 or 26. I like to have longer barrels.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

i have a beretta 391 trap, which is pretty much the same as the 390 your looking at. never had one problem, love the gun.
jraap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 12:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

shawn244

getting ribbed for using a bennelli nova for trap is pretty sad.
. I shoot at a club in Windsor, il. You see guys come out with $12,000. custom trap guns. But they still miss. It was because of things like that, I decided years ago to "shoot ugly"!! I guess i'm just a rebel

What I mean by this, all my guns are field grade, I used them for hunting as well as for trap. How ever I will buy extra barrels for the particular sport. I have an old 870 wingmaster I have 3 barrels for it. For trap I use a light contour 30" barrel with trap chokes. With this barrel the gun is butt heavy and swings fast. Unlast you get a close look, it just looks like a tired old remington pump.

I also prefer a pachmeyer triple magnum recoil pad. Old design but I feel it absorbs the recoil better than anything out there.

I also have an O/U I bought at Sears in 1973. The barrel says Sears on it but it is manufactured by Antonio Zoli. This was b4 Zoli was well known in the USA. These are my favorites.
I really don't care if my guns are pretty or up scale, as long as I can get hte job done with them.

You can pick up guns used just make sure you know what you are getting. Shotguns do not have too many thing to look for, but you still have to look.

Take a look at the Remingtons. They have a lot of versatility. and add ons you can buy later to keep them current with the sport you are pursueing.

Have fun and good luck in finding the one that fits best.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Forgot to mention, I think the Stevens were made in 26" barrels and shorter. I will have to look it up to be sure
Old 04-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Shawn - I agree with Salu. If you're comfy with your existing gun who cares what others think (Especially if you're shattering the clays???).

But, if you're set on picking up an Auto and are looking at the above guns I would strongly suggest going and looking at them. Hold and swing each of them and find one that is comfortable.

Another consideration - and a pretty big one in my book if you're also going to hunt with this gun is the safety location. My biggest issue with the Remingtons is the safety location. I had Winchester pumps prior to the Remington and the safety was forward of the trigger (on the Winchesters) It is a much more logical location to place the safety. It was nice because you could carry your gun in the field all day with your index finger forward of the trigger resting on or near the safety with no fatigue. Now, with the Remington keeping my index finger on the rear safety is awkward carrying (and my hand eventually cramps up). And it is awkward to move back to the safety to find it if you don't keep your finger back there (I have to move my hand around after cramping). I've gotten use to it - but this was almost the reason why I didn't buy the Remington. I researched safety locations prior to buying and the consensus from what I had found was that the safety forward of the trigger was the preferred location for most experts. I have to agree with them on this one. That is my ONLY gripe about the 11-87. I'm sure others will probably not have an issue with the rear location. But if you're ever had a gun with the safety forward of the trigger assembly you will know what I mean...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in