Asian Carp - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2002, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

What's the deal with these Asian Carp?
Five Feet Long !!! 100+ pounds?
If they could be contained it would make for some great fishing, but if they were to get into the lake it would be a disaster.
What do you guys know???
Goby Juan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2002, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
OZ
Administrator

They're filter feeders. Just try and find a hook small enough to put zooplankton(sp) on LOL.
OZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2002, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think calling them "Asian Carp" is redundant as so may of the different Carp varieties originate from this region, there a black carp, silver carp. grass carp, big head carp...all ASIAN CARP, some more or less benign varieties (grass carp), some with the potential to do real damage i.e. the Black Carp which feed almost exclusively on mussels & mollusk. If your looking to hook into some Grass Carp (where it's allowed) try chunks of green tomato...it seems to work real good on these vegetarian critters!
  Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2002, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think you guys are mistaken. It's not a "filter" feeder like the typical CARP....It's actually a pretty viscious predator. Read More....
http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/2001/asiancarp.htm
Old 07-16-2002, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
OZ
Administrator

Quote:
On 2002-07-16 16:56, Goby Juan wrote:
I think you guys are mistaken. It's not a "filter" feeder like the typical CARP....It's actually a pretty viscious predator.
You doubt the great and not so powerful Oz! As Bob typed, there are several species of Asian Carp. Here is one species(Big Head) that I know existed at one time in Marquette Park (saw a winter killed one) and another was caught in another city lagoon. And like I said, plankton feeder:
Big Head Carp
OZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2002, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry Dudes.....you're still wrong.
Don't get bent out of shape, I'm just trying to discuss this topic with someone who knows something more about it.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry Dudes.....you're still wrong
Then please be so kind as to point out our "Error" oh wise and powerful one! Tell me where I'm WRONG? What did I say that was incorrect or misinformed..I really wanna know!
  Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2002, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Then please be so kind as to point out our "Error" oh wise and powerful one! Tell me where I'm WRONG? What did I say that was incorrect or misinformed..I really wanna know!
Don't get bent out of shape......you just haven't offered any insight to the actual topic about the actual fish. The ASIAN carp.
I know the history of carp in america - thank you. I am however unfamiliar with the ASIAN carp......apparently you are as well. I have in as much time as replying to you, found the information I'm looking for elsewhere.
Sorry Mr. Moderator.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbarthelt

If you could, please tell us where you found it? I'd like to read it.

And Bob... it's always funny to watch someone tell you you're wrong
Old 07-17-2002, 12:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FishFreak17

I believe you are wrong about the Asian Carp Bob. See for one thing, the Grass Carp does not like chunks of Green tomatoes, it's Black tomotoes. Black tomatoes are much much more effective with the good ole grassers. And as for those "vicious" carp, I've yet to see one. You see Mr. Hick's I'm a huge carp fisherman. They are my chosen specialty. I've caught 21 Big head carp, 63 Grass carp, 42 Black carp, 25 Silver carp, and countless common carp. I keep track, so what? Anyways, not once have they been vicious with each other or other species of fish that have been together in my custom pool that I had built into the back of my Dodge pickup. It holds fish and a nice 16 gallon "tub", if you will. No attacks to date. And Asian Carp are properly named. "Asian" is very fitting. Common carp (Cyprinus carpio) was brought to us from Europe in 1831 (yes Europe, but they aren't always considered Asian). The Grass Carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) was imported from eastern ASIAin '63. Silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molotrix) and Big Head carp (H. nobilis) came from China (yes, that's in...ASIA) in '73. So yes, they may reside here, but they also reside in their natural birthplace that is...ASIA. Just thought I'd help clear things up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in