Spawning Carp - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tacotac
Default Spawning Carp

Last week and this week my mom and I went fishing on the Fox at Oak Point and Chain O' Lakes State Park. We noticed all these fish splashing around constantly. A couple people said they were carp spawning. I didn't have much luck fishing last week and this, but another guy said that the carp were probably turning the other fish away. Is this true?? How long does the spawning last? Can you catch carp when they are spawing?

All I ended up with last week was a nice sized drum, looked to be around 3 lbs or slightly less? Yesterday when I went, I tried for panfish, and didn't do so well either. There were tons of them. I tried crawler bits, waxworms, jigs, power bait--right in front of their darned noses!! Later on in the day they started to bite on the waxies, but it wasn't anything much, just a bite here and there, nothing to bring home for dinner. :^( Maybe better luck later on I guess. I never knew panfish could be so finicky like other fish.

I'm trying to convice my dad to take me out on the boat soon from Oak Point, maybe get into some crappie. Anyone know where they like to be around this time of year?? Thanks!
tacotac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Tac, Check some of my posts on the North Fox. The crappie are generally tight into the brush and downed trees on shore. Slip bobbers with a minnow right in the brush about two foot deep works pretty good. Use aberdeen hooks and a strong line so you can pull away from snags. The hook will straighten rather than breaking your line and loosing everything. Just bend the hook back and re-bait. Don't spend alot of time in one place. Try to hit all areas near the brush or trees. If you don't get bit within a couple of minutes, try another spot. Crappies are tightly grouped when you find them. Precision casts are needed. Sometimes I can get 10 fish by casting in the same spot. There is a specific log that produces crappie almost everytime I fish it. If I cast two foot to the right or left, I'll get no fish but drop the minnow directly in front of this log and bingo, It's crappie time. There is just certain areas that are crappie magnets due to under water structure I would assume. Once you find one of those spots, you'll usually get fish through out the year in that same spot. :wink:

We're gonna miss fishing the Fox for the next few weeks but after that, If you talk your Dad into launching on a Saturday, PM me and I can show you guy's some spots that should produce some Crappie, White Bass, Channel Cats, and an ocassional Walleye.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tacotac

Thanks!

If we do go out, it may be closer to the end of June, or July. We sent in for our boat registration and hopefully it comes soon. That would be great though. We don't have a fishing boat, it is more like a recreational boat, Johnson 90 hp. I bought a portable depth finder last year, and still wanting to get out so I can get the hang of it. I will let you know when we go.
tacotac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in