CLF Salmon Trip Raffle Winner Trip Report w/ Pics - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CLF Salmon Trip Raffle Winner Trip Report w/ Pics

Met up with C2MEY (Chris), the winner of the CLF salmon trip raffle this morning and was away from the dock just before 6. Chris brought his brother, his son and his son's friend. We started south east of the harbor in 80 FOW on a southeast troll. We had almost a full spread out (17 rods) with birds, riggers, wire & power pro dipseys, and a full core.

It didn't take long before our fist rip came on the core, but that fish was quickly off. We reset the lead (fullcore w/ bloodynose), and within minutes, it went again, boating a nice 5# king. It only took about 15 minutes before our next hit came which was on a maniac fly pulled behind a yellowbird. That netted us a nice little coho about 3#.

Roughly 10 minutes later, one of the boards takes off peeling drag fast. Of course C2MEY is an experienced fisherman and would never tighten the drag on a running 4 yr. old king, but somehow his thumb "accidentally slipped" and our fish was gone That fish was on a Northport Nailer Kaleidescope 50' behind the yellowbird. We reset and it took awhile before our next hit came on a bird (fightin Irish behind 00 orange), thanks to some tricky swimming, that coho got off too putting us at 2 for 4.

Not long after that, the power pro dipsey went (Smurf, 90' back on 2 1/2) and we netted our 3rd fish, a small coho. It was almost 9 am by then and that's when the switch turned off. We trolled from into the 50' mark to past 100' from the line down past the nuke and nada, not even a bump. I switched so many spoons & flies I can't remeber what I had out at times.

At just before 11 am, I called it and we started pulling lines. I was really feeling bad that we had only managed 3 fish for these guys when the power pro dipsey just started screaming! I knew the line counter was on 150 and by the time we got the rod out of the holder, it was past 250 and still going! I convinced the young man not to tightern the drag and to be patient and just let the fish run. We cleared as many lines as we could as the battle ensued. With a little help, he got the fish turned and coming our way and finally made it to the net! We put him on the scale on the dock and it weighed in at 18# 10 oz. (digital) and measured just over 38"! Nice going guys!

Thanks again to Chris and to everyone who bought tickets for the raflle in support of the site.

The Happy fisherman!

Struggling to hold it up!

Nice job Chris (congrats on taking the young ones fishing!)
Notice the size of the big boy in relation to the other fish...

Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in