Archery Hunting and Tags - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Archery Hunting and Tags

Hi everyone,
I moved to Chicago a little over 5 years ago from NH and enjoy hunting and fishing. I do a lot of spring and fall fishing for salmon and trout from the lake front. I travel home every year to muzzle load hunt in late Oct. and travel to WV with a friend to rifle hunt in Nov. I have been reading past reports of deer hunting here in IL and the quality of the deer herd and would like to get back into bow hunting.
I recently brought my bow back with me from a trip home to NH and was looking for a place to start target practicing again. I'm down at Belmont Harbor a lot fishing from the Irving Park entrance, just as you enter the harbor there is a little fenced in area for archery shooting does anyone know if you have to request time to shoot in there or is it just open to the public. Also and recommendations as to other place to shoot would be great.
Second as far as obtaining a license, I have been out to the IL DNR site and found the applications for single either sex tag. I don't know if I will hunt this year, as I need to find locations to hunt first. But by applying for this tag, will this allow you to hunt in any county or is it restricted like with shotgun season. I thought I should apply seeing it’s only $15 plus the cost of the general hunting license, in case I'm able to find somewhere to hunt.
Any information will be helpful, I'm trying to get a better understand of areas to hunt here in IL. I'm not usually sure where to turn because everyone I have meet since moving to Chicago doesn’t hunt and I know a lot of people don't like to give away information to hunting spots.

I just looking for a little help to get start, I just enjoy spending time in the woods, it took me 6 years before I got my first deer, a lot of beginner mistake but learning is half the fun.

Thanks for any help in advance.

NH21
NH21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know about the archery range downtown, but as far as the tags, this is what I'd recommend. The achery tags are available over the counter (but in a 2 deer combo tag for $30). Instead of buying a tag without know if you have a spot, try to find the spot first, then if you do, just go buy your tags over the counter. You will have to buy the combo permit, which is good for one either sex and one antlered deer, but once you have a spot, you would probably want the combo anyway.
As for spots, start looking at some of the public areas that offer bowhunting. There are some decent places out there considering that they are public. If you have time during the week, that's the time to hit these places. If not, you'll just have to suffer through the weekends, but at least you'll be hunting! Good luck.
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Tubes, do you know if they're going to be limiting the number of resident Archery tags this year in Illinois? I forget the specifics, but I do believe they're now allowing many more non-resident archery hunters in Illinois this year due to the Outfitters in Illinois complaining that it hurt their business. Any thoughts?
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Having read about one outfitter controlling something like 23,000 acres west of Peoria for like 200 clients not sure if that's a good idea or some sort of political kick back in action. Plus no control of the population of deer that way.
This guy has enough clout to even shut down fishing in
cooling lakes while his guys hunt.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree Blu - I'm not real keen on the idea either. I'm not real keen on outfitters to begin with. Although I suppose they have a right to make a living. Just look what's happened out west. About the only way you can get on prime grounds for Elk is through outfitters - some guiding on public land. With more and more leases and hunt clubs popping up, pretty soon only the corporate suits will be hunting. I've seen a lot of that happening around here with farms I use to pheasant hunt on. Now, unless you can fork over a couple grand for an annual membership you're pretty much S.O.L...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in