» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Outdoors Discussion (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   caught my first pike! (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29615)

what_stanger? 09-06-2005 06:39 PM

caught my first pike!

hey everybody.
wanted to share my excitement, i caught my first northern pike of my life. i never fished boats much, and never targeted pike, but now that i hooked one, i think i'll be seeking them more often.

i was in way northern wisconsin in washburn county, the pike hit a 3/4oz pig and jig (black and blue skirt/ blue salty pork trailer).
the pike was 30", just out of curiousity, how much would any of you experienced guys say this fish might have weighed? give or take.

any stories are welcome, i can't believe how strong the fish was and how much he freaked out when he finally surfaced!

JDSPINNERS 09-06-2005 06:48 PM

Way to Stranger. :)2 Pike can be a lot of fun.

Not knowing the size of the belly, I would guess about 4-6 pounds. :)

Patman 09-06-2005 06:51 PM

Way to go on the first pike :)2 . Once you get your first you're hooked for life. Have fun this fall.

mrdonaghy 09-06-2005 06:53 PM

nice fish, 30" is good for your first pike. I caught 2 - 30" pike while in the UP this summer, both were a hair under 5lbs.

what_stanger? 09-06-2005 06:57 PM

i didn't think to weight it, i guessed by reading around (tried to find a table of general pike size to length comparison on net) and thought maybe 6-8 lbs, but 4-6 seems to be what you all say, that is probably a better guess.

the fish wasn't huge huge, but for a first pike, i was excited.
i almost caught one in a local river about 7-8inches long before i left, but he threw the hook, now i'm glad i landed this one instead!

mrb 09-06-2005 07:00 PM

Comgrats, I can only imagine your excitement. I have never caught one myself.

what_stanger? 09-06-2005 07:23 PM

it was the first sizeable fish ina boat, a small boat at that.
it was an experience.
i have never really had to fight a fish and have it try to run under the boat, etc.

it was cool, oddly enough though...after i released it, i was ready to go in and just bobber fish, so i could just reflect on it.
sounds ghey, i know.
but i felt that if i didnt' catch a single sportfish all weekend after that, it wouldn't matter.

Bassinator 09-06-2005 07:56 PM

Try the fish estimator in the members services. It comes in handy. :)2 A 30in. pike with a 12in. girth is estimated to weigh 4.8lbs.

Ed 09-06-2005 08:36 PM

Depending on who you talk to they are either called water wolves or slimers :wink:

Either way, I say they are loads of fun, congratulations :)2

what_stanger? 09-09-2005 05:01 PM

sorry it was a 1/2oz jig.
thanks to all who replied.