New to archery - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to archery

Ok you bowhunters out there. Need a little help. I am thinking of trying out bowhunting and would like to get a bow soon so I can start practicing for next year. Any recommendations for a first time/beginner archer? I did go to the new GM and found out my draw length is 30". Draw weight I don't know yet but figure I am a female of 32 years of age. And I am not a petite woman. Average I would say. I do know some brands better than others. I know Browning, PSE and Parker. I don't want to spend gobs of money on my first bow. I am sure once I get into it more I will want to upgrage. The guy at GM said that I might look at the PSE Nova Extreme or Marauder packages or there is a Browning Yukon package that is a little more expensive. I would really appreciate any input on these bows or any of your recommendations.

Thanks ahead of time.
fishinchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well I would be glad to help you out. First off I don't think your draw length will be 30". Regardles of how big you are that's just way too long. I would also be glad to let you shoot one of my older bows for a while just so you wouldn't have to blow gobs of money trying to get into it. If you find that it doesn't suit you no loss. Get back to me and we can shoot some time.
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Why would you say 30" draw would be way to long for me? I am not an average height female. I am just a smidge under 6 foot. I am not doubting you. I am just wondering why you say it is too long. I want to learn about the bow, not just shoot it. I will have to see what my schedule will be like but I might take you up on the offer to try yours out. Thank you.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Plus in actual hunting gear draw length gets shorter. I would look at http://www.jolietarcheryclub.org/ for advice. Skip Gander for now.

PM 'redfeather' he will fix you up. I'll email him this thread.

sorry I screwed this up last attempt.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you are shooting fingers you may be a 30. I am 6-3 and have a 31, but shoot a release as well. My recomendation is don't shoot fingers. Get a release and have them install a string loop. A sight with one pin is all you will need, I have never killed a whitetail past 18 yards.

Get set up with what you feel comfortable with. Go to an actual archery pro shop, not Gander. Nothing against them, I just wouldn't trust them to work on my stuff. Any pro shop should have a handful of bows that you can shoot in their range to get an idea of what you like.

I used to kill deer with a 45 lb. Bear compound. You will be able to kill a deer pulling 40lbs. with a well placed shot. Practice with field tips alot, then practice with your broadheads more.

Good Luck and Shoot Straight!

Dave B
huntnfish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Any word on Freddie Bear Sports in Tinley Park? Someone had told me about them a while back but never made it over there.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

fishinchick I pm'd you.
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I can't say anything about Gander, haven't dealt with them regarding bows, but I can say this, Ive been very happy with everything I have had done with my bow at the Bass Pro in Gurnee! They do have a range there, with some pretty knowledgable staff.

I would recomend buying a bow from a shop that does have a range, and most will let you shoot before you buy! Get what feels best to you, and if you buy from this type of shop, they aren't done until it feels right to you.

I would definately follow the advise to shoot with a release. I think it is safer, more accurate, and you draw more with your arm than your fingers. I just find it easier on my arm and shoulder, but then, I'm old, you're not! :wink:

As for brands, you might be surprised at who makes what for who?

Kind of like water heaters, so to say. Any of the name brands PSE, Parker, Browning, Mathews, make an assortment of entry level bows, and offer packages which even include some arrows, sight, quiver, silencers, etc. at a great savings over buying seperately.

However, a bow is like a gun, and if it doesn't fit you right, no matter how hard or much you practice, you won't shoot well! Get something that is right, from someone you feel comfortable with, and talk to several individuals to get a second and third opinion. If a couple of guys recommend the same draw and weight range for you, then you can pretty much figure that's what you should go for!

I sure hope you and you hub have patience? Best of luck, and watch that RedFeather guy, he'll have you not only shooting, but acting like an indian in no time! (JK)
Old 09-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

http://www.jolietarcheryclub.com

red sez this is current up to date site.

btw. congrats to redfeather "Vic Davidson" your new Illinois
bare bow hunting old fart champion. I think that's what he told me.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just sent you an PM give me a call. I am a certified NFAA Archery Instructor - A lot of the time when new Archery buy there first equipment they don't get what they really need but what the store wants to sell them so it best that you shop around a little before you spend any money.

RF
Redfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in