goose calls - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Most any quality call is capable of making all the sounds a Canada Goose makes with PRACTICE!!! When it comes to duck and goose call choices, they're a lot like a shotgun. You shoot it awhile but start missing a few birds so you decide to change to another shotgun to resolve the problem. Where just more PRACTICE would have most likely corrected the problem.

I do have to disagree with the Tmidenia's comments about the Long Honker goose call. The long honker was very popular about 10 years ago and everybody had one. It had great volume and was easy to learn the basics. But, every Canada Goose in North America has heard the Long Honker. I can tell when somebody is blowing one. It's initial semi-effectiveness has drastically worn off through the years. It is an easy to blow, double reed, entry level, "get their attention" type goose call. The Long Honker is incapable of making some of the subtler sounds that all of the aforementioned higher-end calls are capable of making.

I picked up the Sean Mann Shorty this year and like it a lot. I like the endless capabilities of a single reed call. Yes, they're much harder to learn to call, but their versatility is unmatched with the doubles (imho). I can easily switch volume, work close in grunts and clucks, soft purrs - all types of weird noises the Canadas make. And I can do it with one hand - which is a plus in my book. Although, I do use two hands to throw the sound in different directions.

Again, many of the aforementioned calls are mentioned because they are PROVEN producers. You usually see these higher-end calls in the hands of the experienced callers. Although I suppose these folks could call from a $2 dollar call reasonably well too! Also, many of the higher prices are for the more expensive materials. You don't need to have a call made out of Coccobbolla wood or whatever as it ain't gonna sound any better. Most of these calls are made to be handed down. The cheaper, polycarbonite calls work just as well.

Practice, practice, practice! Just when you think you're pretty good you'll hunt with somebody that REALLY knows how to blow a call. And then you will realize that it's now what you have in your hand that makes the difference. It's how much time you spend learning all those subtle notes (and when to use them)...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Fishart is right on. Practice is the best bet for any call. I have killed my share of geese using the calls I have had. Thanks to the boys I didn't even have one left. They played the reeds right out of my old ones. This one is in my work truck now and I practice while driving during the day. Probably still no good at it but I already have more confidence in it than I had in my old ones and maybe it will pay off. Good hunting to all.
panfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Fishart is right on a couple of his points but completely wrong on one very important one. First with enough practice anyone can get good enough to kill geese and most every call will work. Yes the polycarb calls are very good and sound good enough to call geese consistently with enough practice. Acylic and cocoboola has different pitches which will work better for different days birds ect. Not saying you need to have all 3.

Where he is completely wrong is that most all if not all goose call are single reed. Don't confuse different goose calls with diff duck calls. I don't know of any goose that are double reed. Flute calls like the long honker have a longer insert and sound differently then a short reed call. both are single reed calls. The flute stlye has a longer sound chamber, longer reed than the short reed it requires back pressure but not as much as "sean mann shorty" mentioned. A good flute call can make all the same sounds as a short reed but will sound different because of the pitch, volume and tone or the user. If one try's to switch from using a flute, which most people learned on, to a short reed the change can be difficult and require LOTS of practice more than the flute ever required. It will most likely require puuting the flute in the drawerer for a while until you master it.

It is true you can create a lot of different sounds out of a short reed call. But a a good flute caller can as well.
tarponman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Tarponman - you are correct. Mental lapse with my duck calls. Correct verbage would be "short" and "long" reeds. Doesn't really matter anyway. Who cares how the engine runs - as long as we put gas in it and goes - eh???

You did touch upon a point that made me realize the main reason I like the "Shorty". Blowing it is actually very similar to blowing my duck calls. It seems to take a bit more air than most other goose calls I've played with. I've only tooted on a handful of goose calls, but they all seem to blow very different from a duck call. And most I HAD to use two hands. I like being able to go between both types of calls (duck and goose) without taxing my brain!
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in