downrigging - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2002, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

This will be my first time out on my own downrigging for salmon. I have caught kings and coho off the shore and on charters before. I am wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to set up for the catch? Such as how far behind the dodger does the lure need to be? What pound test line. What to watch out for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FISH TRACKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2002, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

few things I would recomend, get a copy of chip ports video, it covers the basics of salmon fishing. Thake a charter and see how they do it. I am going to be going out next week a few times, if you want I could take ya out and show you the ropes a bit.

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2002, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks if I can find the time I would like to join you. I have been on a few charters over the years and have the basics just need a few pointers. I am going to Michigan this weekend.
Will give it a shot out there.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check Lakemichiganangler.com, tons of resources on everything from making flies to adjusting actions of them to rigging etc. etc. etc. You can get a lot of grest info from the state by state message boards as well.
biotroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2002, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks if I can find the time I would like to join you. I have been on a few charters over the years and have the basics just need a few pointers. I am going to Michigan this weekend.
Will give it a shot out there.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fish Tracker, Check this site out, Also very informative. http://www.michigansportsman.com/Members_Only_Area.htm
Also when you get a little feel of things let me know. I will tell you how to knock them dead in the fall using my 1/2 oz. Glow spoon stacked on riggers run clean off the release. The Glowmate spoon Glows all evening Guaranteed and believe me kings go ballistic for them! They can see them 20-25 feet away. With down riggers you can be in 45 F.O.W. down 15 feet and if the fish are in 35 feet of water your Glowmate will be seen. Add on an optional spoon rattle and you are in for one unforgetable night!_Good luck on all of your down rigging adventures, Have fun and always be careful. Also be courteous to other fisherman as they should do the same for you.
AM.RISER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2002, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
GPS

Try to use 10 lb weights. Troll speed should be around 2 to 2.5 MPH. if you are using dodgers. From your ball you should have about 10 to 15 ft of line out to the dodger. from the dodger to the fly should be about 18 to 24 inches.

20 pound mono line is good for downrigger trolling.

Dodgers can be chrome, yellow with red dots, orange, chrome/green. I use howie flies, colors in purple, white, green, yellow.

I also use spoons, my favorite is watermelon.

If you are using a 10# ball trolling at about 2.5 MPH you will need to compensate for the drag angle of the downrigger. Example - if you want your downrigger to be at 50ft you will need to lower it to about 60ft because of the drag on the cable and line.

Right now I have been fishing in 100+ ft of water and downriggers at about 80ft and I do very well.

I also use dipsey divers number 1 size with rings. I use both dodgers and spoons. I keep them down in about 50 to 60 ft of water. That would be around 200ft of line out on the line counter for a trolling speed of 2 to 2.5 MPH.

I use 30 pound fireline on my dipsey trolling rods.

Hope this gives tou some ideas. The best thing to do is "Just Do It"

Good Luck Fishing.

GPS
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in