Just around 90 days or less......... - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just around 90 days or less.........

Till spring coho,can't wait bring it on.mc
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Already started retieing leaders on my coho flies....and striping off the old mono

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have never fished for the spring coho's and would really like to check it out this year. Why do they call it the spring coho run? Is it because they are spawning at this time and where can you expect to catch these fish, from shore? Is it the same as the king spawn in the fall? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

The spring "Coho Run" starts anywhere from Mid March thru June depending on which part of the Lake you fish. They will start down at the Southwestern tip in Indiana early, then as the water temps warm they`ll follow the Western shore up and usually arrive at the Waukegan/North Point area around the beginning of May. This again is all based on water temps. They may arrive (at North Point) mid April but generally May is a good time to start. Last year the schools stayed out in the deeper water (80` plus) for most of the spring. They are following the schools of alewife and will be as close to or far from shore as the bait. I`ve trolled in as shallow as 8` of water in past seasons. Generally the bait of choice is a "00" size dodger ahead of a "Peanut" size flie in the top 10` of the water column. It can be presented behind planer boards, dipseys, flat lines or downriggers.
The schools of coho are generally pretty big and aggressive, so once you`ve found them, you`ll have your hands full. Six man limits don`t happen on every trip but in the past they have been more the "norm" than the exception.
Good luck to all ,hopefully we`ll have another productive season out on the "Big Pond" :P See `ya on the water :wink:

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim
Old 01-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default moved and thanks for the memories

Hi all, this is alan in las vegas. I want to thanks all those folks that took me out fishing the last couple of years on the lake. I will remember it always and will remember all the great times i had, and the fish tasted great. i moved out here a couple weeks ago and will miss those trips. thanks again. Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

You're welcome Alan! It was a pleasure to have fished with you. Maybe someday we can get together and fish out by you depending on where you're at of course.
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good to hear from you Alan.

A memory from a day on the lake.
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default picture

thanks guys. that was a good picture. when i get my computer out here i will have to print it. The lake out here seems to be lake mead and a couple of other smaller ones. thanks again. alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alan,
It was a good time having you out. Last I heard fishead was staying put and not moving out your way, but if you smell a cigar....

FishinMatt,
You are the "Peter Parker" of this site with all these off the wall shots, I don`t know if Alan had the fish or the fish had him
The pics in your signature are always worth a laugh too, Kinda` like the Avatars "Howard Sprague" puts up.

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Looking forward to getting going again, too.

Wondering if baits stayed in the top 10 feet when out in 80 + FOW or if you went a little deeper for the Coho out that far? (I stayed in closer last year and did fair - except for one day when I later learned success was out in 180 FOW due to some recent big winds and muddy water in close.)
Harmony1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in