"Coyotes Worth Anything?" - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks oldgrayfish , my hunting buddy KingCrazy and I are planning to start taking them this coming weekend.

That is why I was trying to find a useful home for them!

You are right on the money and I saw the article regarding the 150 in Cook Co. as well.

They can be as tough or tougher to take than deer, however we can reach out pretty far with high power for them!

None the less, they are a challenge!
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Don't even get me going Jim on Musky Stalkers wildlife management program. I hoinestly wonder sometimes if he's some PETA member sneaking in here and causing grief - lol!

You could kill every Coyote you see and you ain't gonna dent their popilation. They're smarter than heck. And that's WHY they've been around SO long and will continue to flourish.

Jim, your best bet would be to make a post on taxidermy.net to see if there's interest. Good quality coats/specimens for taxidermy purposes will yield you far more money than skinning and tanning them for pelts. From what I understand, there's not a whole heck of a lot of money in the yote skins themselves.

Now I'm just a fish guy but from what I've seen, the thick winter coats and off-colors (such as reddish or blackish) will yield the most money.

With the risk of ticking off Fishstalker, I'd recommend plowing every one you see! You can't dent their overall population and you'd be doing the pheasant hunters on your property and surrounding properties a great service! Besides, for every shot opportunity you will get, there are a dozen other yotes out there that you won't ever get a shot at...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Easy guys! Although I agree with the Pro Coyote Hunting viewpoint, many of the those have borderd on personal attacks, not attacking the viewpoint. Yes, I know Musky Stalker used to be someone else, but since changing that name, he has been nothing but a gentleman here and has the right to post his opinions (however misguided ) without being attacked. Stick to the facts, attack the opionion not the poster and we will all be happy!
Now the good news is that this post has got me digging around for my predator calls....
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Musky Tyme

"With the risk of ticking off Fishstalker, I'd recommend plowing every one you see! You can't dent their overall population and you'd be doing the pheasant hunters on your property and surrounding properties a great service! Besides, for every shot opportunity you will get, there are a dozen other yotes out there that you won't ever get a shot at..."

Well, you didn't just tick him off, you ticked me off too. I have hunted pheasant, but besides hunting and fishing I like to call myself a SPORTSMAN. Plowing everyone you see?? That's wonderful, I wasn't aware we were back in the 1800's?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Guys, I appreciate all the info, and have to agree with Tubes, let's stick to the original cause of my post!

To find a home for the coyotes I shoot, and allow me to feel good about the ethics I am trying to uphold here!

Great idea Marty! I will certainly post there.

I hope you find those calls Tubes! If you need a place to use em, let me know. The more callers, and guns (with a great shot like yours) the better! :wink:
Old 02-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

"brilliant" = one word personal attack in my book!

"nothing but a gentleman" Yea right, He's got religion now!

Has the wheel fallen off that atv trailer yet? :wink:

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

NRA Life Member
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

"brilliant" = one word personal attack in my book!

"nothing but a gentleman" Yea right, He's got religion now!

Has the wheel fallen off that atv trailer yet?

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

NRA Life Member
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

MT - let me ask you this, how many coyotes do you get to see annually? Very, very few. They are incredibly smart. I didn't see one last year while hunting for deer. And I sure as heck heard dozens of them on our 40 acres at night-time. They have survived for ions even though we, as humans have attempted to erradicate them for many, many years.

It's no different than the fish management practices currently going on at Apple Canyon Lake. To increase the bass population they recommend either harvesting bluegill or tossing them ashore for the racoons. Now why is it that a bass's life is MORE valuable than a bluegill's (life)??? I'll tell you why, MONEY. Simply put - if a resource doesn't pay it's way from an economical standpoint, that resource is considered "less worthy" by people. It must have some economic value to succeed on this earth. As I and many others said earlier, the coyote numbers are out of hand. Coyote hunting club memberships are over a thousand people out by me and they have been turning down new members for years! And too many coyotes is a very good part of the equation of WHY the pheasant numbers around here are in the toilet.

So, tell me what is the difference between harvesting a bass, bluegill or coyote (for whatever reason) if their numbers are to the point of harming another (more valuable) resource???
815-744-1380
Old 02-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Musky Tyme

Here's my problem....Who are we, non-experts, to be making judgements on what species should be exterminated/killed off/purposely targeted for the benefit of other species.
Now if some official agency comes out and says YES, there is a big problem with 'yotes taking out birds/hares, whatever...Then I will take that with a grain of salt. But all too often I see people making judgements that sometimes are not even fair. As In fishing, The muskies/pike are killing off all my walleyes/bass/crappies. Often these generalizations are not correct. I certainly do not have the perfect answer/solution, but in my opinion "plowing everyone you see" is not the way to handle a situation. The rabbits/birds also might be making adjustments to the increasing territories of coyotes, Who knows??
Old 02-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

But M.T. we HAVE to be the experts that make those wildlife management decisions. After all, we, as humans are the ones that have encroached on their livelihoods via loss of habitat. And with Coyotes, a higher force HAS said it's okay to harvest as many as you want. Now I'm not a Yote hunter, but I believe there is an open season on them AND there is NO limit. This in itself tells me that our DNR - the "experts" are indeed telling us it's okay to harvest them.

Also, for the record my "plow 'em" comment is not to sound like we're willy-nilly blasting coyote out there. My point was much like deer, for every one you DO see, there are many others that you do not (see). So there's no harm in "plowing" that one (or two or three) coyote you see on your farm when there's a dozen others that'll step on up once the others are gone. They are THAT abundant...
815-744-1380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in