What type of boat(s) do you hunt from? anything other than j - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Got back from the DU show in Oshkosh tonight, great show, tons of stuff to look at. Talked to Phil Robertson (aka "Duck Commander")what a cool guy!
Saw some boats that I liked, in particular, an Osage duck canoe, 14' long 5' wide. I'd put a 7.5 hp motor on it. http://www.osage-canoes.com Thought it would be nice for solo hunting in some smaller places, it's a bit pricey though, $1500 for the boat alone. It would fit in the back of a standard bed pickup. I like the low profile & it appeared to be a very stable boat.

I am also leaning towards a scull boat made by The Duck Boat company. 16' long, low profile, 2 man boat. Has grassing rails for use as a boat/blind.

Last year I sold a one man layout boat, hunted Lake Michigan out of it a lot, great time but my Dad didn't like all of the work involved.

I currentley hunt out of either an 18' canoe or a 16' jon boat. I also have a 19' walleye boat, when I told my wife I was going to camo paint it for Lake Michigan she gave me a look that would have made Medussa turn away.

Do any of you hunt waterfowl out of anything other than a jon boat canoe, or v-hull boat?
biotroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2002, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
BFD

I hunt Lake Michigan from a Lund Pro V. There's no need to paint your boat. I made a frame from PVC that fits right into the inside of my boat (I suspend the frame from my garage ceiling when not in use) and I drape a tarp over the top of the frame and it's big enough to cover my entire boat. The tarp is made from painters drop cloths that I dyed, sewed together and spray painted and then covered with camo web netting. It was very time consuming to get it all together, but IMHO it's one of the best camo jobs around. On top of that, hunting from my boat is very comfortable. We place lawn chairs under the holes cut in the tarp and are completely protected from the wind. The only drawback is that when the tarp gets wet it weighs about 10,000 lbs., but we deal with that when it happens. Be VERY VERY careful out in Lake Michigan. It's kind of lonely out there in December. If there is any doubt at all about the winds, cancel your trip. I listen to the coast guard weather report before heading out and if I hear the words "onshore" and "wind" in the same sentence I'm hunting puddlers somewhere.
BFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2002, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Biotroller

As my handle suggests, I hunt out of an 18' wareagle modified V hull Jon boat (same boat that I fish out of). This is the cadilac of Jon boats and I had most ever option put on it. I use an avery quickset blind on it. Hopefully Braidwood will reopen this year for duck hunting, if not I will be on the big pond alot.
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2002, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

BFD & Wareagle,

Where do you launch at for Lake Michigan? I used to go out of Pastrick's marina. Hopefully you never cussed us! Hunting from the layout boat we would often get cussed from guys set up off of the breakwalls. Birds get shy flying along the breakwalls, they didn't have any problem going a few hundred feet to a couple of miles out to open water & the layout set up!
An open water layout boat is a really low profile boat, kinda looks like a flying saucer. You lay flat on your back, the edges of the boat blend in with the water & you disappear in any type of ripples or small waves. When the birds come in, you are literally eye to eye with them. The blocks get set right around the boat. Very equipment intensive, larger boat needed to pull out the layout boat, long lines for decoy placement, radio contact constantly maintained with the layout shooter. Dangerous making the changes from layout to tender boat in a chop. Coming eye to eye with a flock of blue bills is hard to beet though!
If I could get at least two others that are interested, I'd buy some plans & make a layout boat for next season. Ideally it is a three man operation. I'd post some picks but, I don't know how to set them up!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
BFD

I hunt out of Pastrick, Whiting, Hammond, Port of Indiana and Cal Park. Heck no I never cuss anyone out hunting on Lake Michigan. If a person can't find enough room to hunt on the big lake, then he's being way too picky. I've never seen anyone hunt out of a layout out of Pastrick, but I have seen them at the Port, looks pretty cool. I just love hunting those divers on LM, talk about shooting them in the lips.
I've got some good news for wareagle.
I was talking to the president of my hunting club (Northern Illinois Waterfowlers Association-NIWA, not to be confused with the Illinois Waterfowlers Alliance) and he has been in contact with the site manager over at Braidwood and according to him there is a 99.9% probability that there WILL be hunting this year at Braidwood. That outta tick off some of the club owners down there who have publicly stated that they are opposed to Braidwood hunting.
Other tidbits from NIWA. We had a CPO at one of out meetings and he told us to be very careful if launching out of Calumet Park in Chicago. It's just a matter of time before one of Chicago's finest gets a bug up his arse and arrests one of the duck hunters, subject to Chicago's restrictive firearm laws. He advised us to launch out of Indiana.
The waterfowl advisery board is rumored to be ready to recommend that only one hen mallard be included in the daily bag limit. IMHO a good move.
And finally, let me tell you about NIWA. We are a newly formed organization (registered not for profit) that is made up of a bunch of guys who hunt public land. We're not club owners (not that there is anything wrong with hunt clubs). We're the guys that stand in line at public hunting areas waiting for a chance to see a duck or a goose. We're the guys who want to see things get better for ourselves and others like us. Our club is not a social event, it is a no nonsense "let's try and make things better for public hunters" club. Our members are our leaders. No one has ever represented the Chicago area duck hunters, the public land hunters. Well, now there is a group trying to change this. If anyone is interested in joining, just drop me a PM and I'll get you started.
NIWA will be holding our first fund raising banquet at the Lexington House on Sept. 26th. I will be posting further info on this when I return from vacation. Proceeds from this banquet will be used to improve public hunting in our backyard.
BFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2002, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

BFD,

GREAT news on Braidwood. I sure missed hunting down there last year.

Biotroller,

I hunt Lake Michigan out of the south side of Milwaukee (where I grew up). I have been thinking about hunting out of Waukegan but with great access to private land locally the last couple of years has keep me busy hunting geese and ducks in my back yard. Now it looks like I might not have a much/any access to private land this year so I and if braidwood doesn't open I am rethinking of hunt Lake Michigan. I have a big Modified V jon boat (18' wareagle) and 5 dozen herter decoys rigged for the big lake. I have never hunted out of a layout boat but would love to some time. Let me know if you are looking for someone to join you I can usually break away.
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2002, 09:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here's biotroller's way cool pics. Looks like a blast!

<font color="#FFFF00">Lake Michigan IN Layout Hunting</font>

<font color="#FFFF00">Layout hunting the fog</font>

<font color="#FFFF00">Scullboat</font>
Old 08-24-2002, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for posting the pics! I WILL have that style scull boat for next season! Possibly another layout boat!
The first picture was taken a couple hundred yards away. The boat vanished if there was a little wave action. The low profile & rounded edges blended right into the water. Can't wait for cold weather! I'm doing some blind work tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in