alaskan crab fishing - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default alaskan crab fishing

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it. Doesn't seem like a bad deal...you work usually 3-6 days a year and you could make anywhere from $5,000 (1st time beginners...aka greenhorns) all the way up to $25,000-$250,000 (maybe more...all depends on catch size) for your second year/years to come! But, there is always the risk of losing your life.
bassguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

For a greenhorn they get a set wage(200$ a day) now if you go above and beond you might get a part of the take. A friend of mine went up for cod, sure they get you up there with the hopes of huge pay days..but its not all it craked up to be. You are working 18-20 hours a day, for 2 weeks. After he came back and did the math it was like 6$ an hour. It was his first year and he did get 0.1% of the take. The next year he went back on the same boat for halibut and was paid 1% of the catch. The problem was he got the flu the first day out, and was in pretty bad shape. The gave him the option to go home, but they would have had to call the coast guard to pick him up, and then pay for the ride, plus the air fare to and from AK. So he said, they filled he up with IV's and we was back on deck. he made a little more that trip, a little over 3000, for 3 weeks of 18 - 20 hour days...seeems like pretty little reward for putting your life on the line

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2006, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

If your usually a good greenhorn, they will reward you with some extra amount. Even 1% could end up being a lot of $ for a beginner. Just think if you get a nice catch, say $500,000, the greenhorn gets to keep $5,000 plus the $200 per day and ends up with a total of about $5,600 (with a 3 day season). Usually the total ends up being like $3,000-$6,000. Also, why do the seasons continue to get shorter every year? They used to be for like 2 weeks and just last year it was only like 3 days. Is this just because of the bad weather conditions at that time and the coast guard doesn't want anyone out anymore?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was under the impression that the shorter season was due to increased pressure on the fish stocks. As I understand it overfishing has reduced the populations in some areas to dangerous levels. It is hoped the shorter season will help the populations rebound to a healthy level.
RiverRat242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2006, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Its rated as one of the most dangerous jobs because if all the casualties. I would read up on it some more.

Addict
Addict2Fish'n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

plus now with the quotas, boats are not in a race against time, so they are going out with smaller crews.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

All has changed this year (I've watched the T.V. show since it's inception, kind've addictive!). No longer will they have a season where you can "hit it big". I suspect because of the dangers involved they have done this. But apparently this will be the first year where each boat has a designated quota to fill. Once they reach that quota, they're done. Seems to me that part of the rush of being a crab fisherman was the possibility of making it big. But even before the new quotas/this season, those that did make it big were a few chosen few. Most went home with a decent paycheck, but not worth the demanding physical labor nor risking your life for (imho). Greenhorns had a small percentage of the take. Owners operators obviously had much more, sometime 3-4 times what a greenhorn would make. But, that's all a moot point now that they've gone to designated amounts for each commercial crab boat. Should be a lot fewer dying though - lol! I wonder what that'll do to the t.v. show? I would imagine this year's shows were taped (last years catches???) I haven't seen it yet (if it's already aired), but I KNOW they've gone to quotas this year. So I'll bet the t.v. show's days are numbered...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2006, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

The new season for the show started last week and I forgot to watch it. But, I'm assuming that it was from last year since crab season is in October.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

The new season is from last october, with the quota, and a much smaller fleet..something like 84 boats instead of 200+ boats. They start out with a big storm heading in and all but 1 boat stay in port. Also the boats have less deck hands...

Old 03-31-2006, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Crabs

I'll stick to watching the Deadliest Catch and eating at Bob Chinn's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in