browns at soldier field - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default browns at soldier field

I posted the other day about my son beggin' to fish the lake and I decided to take him today and arrived around 6pm. I took a responses advice and casted spoons and bobbed a nightcrawler but couldt keep the bobber in the lake with all the little gurby or whatever they're called taking the bobber down. We started behind the planitarium and then moved into the harbor by the docks. After about 3 hours of wondering why I was standing in the cold I noticed a large rush of water flowing from the wall. I figured if I cant catch any trout or salmon maybe a bass will feed there. Within' 10 minutes my 9 year old landed a 3.7 pound brown trout and about an hour later I got my first brown at 4.1 pounds. This was our first time fishing in Lake Michigan and I am so proud to have givin my son a new experience in our fishing adventures. What a beautiful fish. He caught his with a free flowing nightcrawler and I hooked mine with nightcrawler and 1/8 jig head,,,just like walleye fishing. Thanks for the help fellas and let me know if my posts are too long cause' I would get even more detailed if I didnt think I was being too noisy
husky jerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 05:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very nice, that's the kind of fishing experience that can hook a kid for life. I'm sure he'll always remember that fish as we all fondly recall larger fish from out past.
Polish Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

post pics!!!!
brushnroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I cant post the pics right now. I Didnt have a camera but the family fishing near me took pics of both fish and they took my address so when I get them I will post them. By the way the fish I caught were Coho I think. When we landed the fish a guy said they were browns but after coming home and looking in my literature I see they were coho. I thought they were salmon but took his word because it was first time there. They looked like the fish you are holding. We went back today and only hooked one on a jig/crawler but lost it on the way in. There were three kids next to us that caught 2. Is it worth going there after may for bass or anything else. I dont plan on going back until fall because I think I should start targeting different fish closer to home but the kid wont let it be hahha. Oh I also snagged a shad around a foot long ( I think it was a shad hahaha)
husky jerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

husky jerk

you can never get too detailed. Good report, your son is "hooked" now.

Go Fish...
salu1952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default your son

huskyjerk, I'm glad you got your boy hooked! I posted a few tips the other day when you were looking for tips, glad it worked out. Real glad your boy is hooked thats great for this sports future. Stick with the big pond its loaded with fish. anything that lives in fresh water swims in the big pond. The smallies should be renamed biggies! they are all footballs. I remember my dad taking me to the lake and I did it with my boys, those memories are pricelss! good fishin
Carper Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice man, you are lucky catching fish the first time out there!

Took me a half dozen trips lol.

Anyhow, you found "the pipe." Just so ya know, its a good spot you should almost try to keep hush hush. :P

I think you should get into fishing that lake, it has alot more to offer than than you can get at a forest preserve. Its also nicer to fish IMO... as far as comfort levels and such.
itzvic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in