"Good EYES" Delavan 5/28 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Good EYES" Delavan 5/28

Went out on sunday only because i havent had much time to fish lately. I knew it was going to be a zoo out there. Very tough day all around the lake for everyone fishing. Boater/algae blooms/bright skies/hot weather/pleasure boaters made fishing hard. I started at 8 throwing plastics and spinners around 5-15 feet. NOTHING! So i talked to some others and they all reported the same. I went to the baitshop and got some nightcrawlers because i knew the conditions were not favorable. I returned around 1pm with the sun beating and the boaters zipping around the lake. I headed out to about 18 feet of water around one of the major points and anchored because of the major waves from the jerks who were driving right next to me. That's when the STRANGEST thing happened ever to me while on a boat. The next thing i know around 1:20 my father and i had pulled out 3 keeper walleye between 18 and 19 inches Even stranger was the fact that we had dead shiners and minnows all over the boat that they spit up. IT WAS PRETTY COOL! We were dragging the jigs very slowly along some scattered weeds and sand. I've only caught maybe 10 walleye out of the lake prior to today and those were night fishing. We were shocked because of the conditions with the bright sun and hot temps. These fish were obviously in a rare feeding frenzy during the day and i dont expect good walleye action like this to happen to me again It was awesome though. All fish were released after some pictures!!!!!! We also got a 13' crappie a few minutes later in that spot. Thats when 2 boats finally decided to move into our spot after watching our catches. We left around 3 and the DNR surveyed us. He said fishing was almost "non-existent" for other guys. It would have been for us too if it hadnt have been for that little hot period. All i can say is if youre going out for memorial day, BE SAFE!! It might not be worth going to delavan because of the boaters this weekend. The algae blooms makes casting nearly impossible with lures. Stick to live bait fished slow. Having jetskies flying through every 2 minutes doesnt help the spooky fish in this clear water. GOOD LUCK TO ALL
drum4fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice report and congrats on the 'eyes. I've heard they are tough on that lake.

There were 6 other boats on Busse Woods yesterday, so I know what crowded is. Couldn't fish anywhere without being able to see at least one other boat.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice job. There seems to be a resurgence of eyes this year on D. Last year my boat only took 4 all year, but this year has been much better. Good work getting them on a tough day
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2006, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

i would have to agree it was a madhouse on sunday fishing was slow all day ang hot was not the word.. Got up there saterday morning and on the water at 5:15am it was my first time there fishing and man it didn't disapoint stayed on the water until around 5pm when the storm rolled through, decided we would make a weekend out of it so we got a room a right across the street from the launch, got some dinner and put the boat back in around 6:30pm saterday night fished till 10pm. Total fish caught saterday was 32 largemouth the smallest being around 1 1/2 #'s, majority off bass were in the 3 1/2 to 4 pound range and two pikes bigest was prolly 30 inches. Sunday was not so friendly to us due to the hot weather and madhouse boat traffic. Fished all day and got one wicked sun burn. Total on the day 4 largemouth, 1 crappie (16 inches), 1 healthy walleye(21 inches). Got off the lake due to so much sun exposer, and boat traffic. We figuered we would try monday before we left and it paid off, on the water at 5:30am and off bye 10am becuase it was getting hot and my sunburn was killing me. Totals for monday were 15 largemouth all big and healthy. All fish mentioned above were pictured and released, needless to say that was one the best fishing weekend i've had in awhile and will definately go up there agian.. I would love to show all the pics, but unfortanatly i'm still in the cave man days and the film is getting devoloped as we speak and have no way to scan them on to the computer, so if anyone in the Aurora area could help out and scan them for me so i could post pics of a awsome weekend, let me know.
Thanx
martin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lake marie rules

Sweet! What were you guys using (to martin)? I found that the senko bite has been hot there for bass in the weeds.
lake marie rules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

thats exactly the ticket my friend!!!! It was great love fishing with the senko worm in the weeds especially when the blast through the top and hit it when your in the heavy weeds
martin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

I never even tried senkos because of the weeds and algae. Big mistake on my part. Oh well, ill get those bass next time!
drum4fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in