Sturgeon Bay 6/4 - 6/7 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sturgeon Bay 6/4 - 6/7

Fishing was not quite as good as i had hoped because of a low pressure system and rain on the second day. The wind also shifted out of the north and those fish in the clear water were really hard to come by. Day 1 was excellent. With 2 guys in the boat we caught 53 smallies ranging from 13'-a 21' monster full of eggs. She was just over the 5 pound mark on the digital scale. Blue tube jigs and red grubs worked the best in 5-10 fow. We saw some fish on the beds but my dad and i dont believe in targeting them especially in this area of wisconsin with the huge goby population. The same can't be said for many other guys who we saw out there Day two was great for a few hours before the rain hit around 9am. From 5-9am we got 19 fish all over the 17' mark!!!! It was pretty weird. After that, bass fishing was dead. Rain around noon on the last day and bright skies didnt help the spooky fish. We decided to switch up and troll for northern because we have done well in the past there. We used smithwick rogues and got some nice fish around 30'. On one of our last passes as the sun went down we hooked up with a MONSTER. This fish was easily over 40' and im just going to leave the speculation there because i might start crying We got it up to the boat and we couldnt get it in the net. The fish made another hard dive while burning the drag down to the bottom as i tried to grab it. Of course he got off. This fish didnt just throw the hook, he completely bent it out on a 90 degree angle! Oh well, fishing is still good shallow in the area with temps around 67. Good luck to all and if you decide to troll for pike, change the hooks for the fish you might get.
drum4fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Drum,

Thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear you caught some quality fish. Where you fishing in Sturgeon Bay or in some of the other nearby bays? Paul
Old 06-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Paul,
we fished in all of the bays, sand, riley, and little sturgeon. Riley Bay was dead and sand bay was decent. Little Sturgeon was the best for us. We caught a lot of fish alongside the penninsula in the bay. We also fished a lot in town when the weather was bad just looking for fish. The flats in sturgeon bay are still very good. We also got some fish on that rock bar at the entrance to sawyer harbor that tops at 2 feet. Just make sure you watch your prop coming in there.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice report and thanks for sharing. Too bad about the pike. They have a way of breaking your heart Sturgeon Bay really sounds like a fish factory. Do you need a Deep V out there or are there places to hide out of the wind?
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah matt awesome job on those pike by the way. I decided to try delavan for the first time last year after seeing some pictures from one of your reports. You really know how to get those pike and bass. You do not need a deep v. i have a 17 foot sylvan that is just a little bit deeper than a bass boat deck. There are plenty of bays and places along the shore to hang out for the wind. It is a lot of water and it can be intimidating especially when a storm blows up. There are tons of launches all over the area and the fishing really is great. Pike can grow to tremendous size up there and i have caught my 3 biggest pike while bass fishing. Thats not bad considering i only go there 2 or 3 days a year. I can only imagine what a bionic bucktail could do for you Keep those delavan reports coming because thanks to you that is my "home lake" now. good luck
Old 06-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Drum,

The side of the pennisula is one of my favorite spots up there. I have had evenings up there just drifting the side of it casting shad-raps and and fat free shads and catching a mixed bag of smallies, pike, and drum. I also like around Snake Island too.

Matt,

You don't need a deep-v. I have a 17' Lowe that has a bass boat layout and I feel very comfortable out there. You can play the wind and launch accordingly. Anything but north is good for Sand, Riley or Little Sturgeon.

Good fishing. Paul
Old 06-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Drum,
I am glad that I helped get you into Delavan. The same thing happened to me by reading reports from Coyote and Walleye71. Their success motivated me to get out there, and I honestly think I learn something new everytime out. Sometimes the fishing is on, sometimes it is off, but if you put in your time you are only one cast away from a big fish. It is what keeps me going back. Hopefully we can get out there sometime. Sharing info and time on the water with Walleye71 and Coyote has made all 3 of us more successful out there and I'm sure we all could learn a little from you as well as show you some of our better spots.

Paul,
Sturgeon Bay sounds like a blast. It kind of reminds me of another Delavan, only much, much bigger. Lots of fish with the potential for numbers and size. Thanks for the info
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in