Common mistakes - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Common mistakes

OK,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and show you newer guys and newbies a typical area that is missed when you're not wading or thinking about where smallies are staged.

I'm showing a spot in Buffalo Park that is readily available to anyone that cares to fish there.

If you are readily PO'd about this subject....choose another thread or close your eyes!

For you old-timers out there...you can castrate me if you wish, but I believe that CLF provides a service as well...sometimes people just don't have the time to spend on the river to learn it by trial and error.

If I have given out another secret spot, I apologize, however, some people out there may be wondering just how I can post many fish when they fish the same area and come away empty-handed.

In the illustration below, I have pointed out a point on the right where I have seen MANY people fishing and catching!

Above and to the left is a real shallow riffle area. Standing by opposite bank, I will cast up into the shallows and bounce a jig right down the current into slightly deeper water. The key is to slect the proper jig to the speed of the current. Too heavy a jig, and you get hung up all the time, too light and the fish may not want it. The key is to keep FEELING it tick off the bottom.

This IS NOT where I was yesterday, just an illustration of what not to overlook when you are out there trying to read the water.

In ANY given stretch of river, you can find the EXACT same type of area.

But remember to cast all over it, because a large number of smallmouth can be concentrated in a very small area. If you miss it by a few feet, you may not get bit! Also don't assume that the fish won't be shallow. All they need is enough to cover their back.

SteveW, thanks for the initial image...

click on the image for clarity...

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Thanks.

I happen to be taking the family camping at buffalo park next tuesday and wednesday. We will be sure to bring our fishing gear.

I think it's time to teach my son how to use a spinning rod. He's ten now and he may be outgrowing the old zebco kiddie rod. So thanks, Adam... I appreciate the detailed tips for that spot.

I don't understand why people get all bunched up about one spot ( I read your last post about this area and the backlash that followed) it's a big river why not share it....the fish do. I don't think you're doing anyone a disservice especially when it helps put kids on fish.

I'll be sure to pack some jigs...and the PM's too.
SmallieJonze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2006, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Boy Adam-
You sure like to ruffle everyone's feathers
I say.... keep the tips coming!!!
timcnelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yea...thanks for the insight.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know that spot... the last time I fished it, the water was much shallower and even though we pounded it, we only got a couple smaller fish. Just goes to prove your previous comment that water conditions and fish movement means these specific areas are not always a sure thing, but are lessons in what to look for.
jsalkas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

You know Adam, I wouldn't get mad about that either. This river is too big to keep one spot hush, hush. The fish are always moving up and down the river so in my eyes it's no big deal. Keep up the good work with the newbies and people who are new to the river.
bassbuster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

The key to that section is definitely depth, but like I said, just because you don't catch them there, doesn't mean that they aren't there. You just need to find what bait, they are looking for, and not only that, HOW they want it presented!

I have thrown bait after bait in here at times and figured that there just wasn't any fish there, only to discover that if I moved upstream a little farther, changed to a different colored, smaller jig,...all of a sudden bingo!
I'm in fish heaven!

This is the part that took me the longest to learn. Ed is a master at that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in