New to IL. New to Fox River! Please help with info! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to IL. New to Fox River! Please help with info!

Hello guys! i recently moved to Chicago area from Seattle for a job placement. im used to catching monster bass and in need to go fishing. I heard from a guy at the BPS that Fox River is One of the best places for largemouth and smallmouth bass. becasue im new here, i have no idea where to go or even start from. is it best from the shore or while walking around the river. how deep is it if i should be walking around the river? Im used to fly fishing in washington so walking around while fishing is no biggie. whats the "secret lure" people use here. (mine are senkos and flies by the way!!) where are the hot spot? Please if some can fill me in with the details i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

by the way i live temporarily in antioch IL which is near the chain o lakes state park.
Bassinator07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Seeing how you did not specify a location my response will be somewhat broad in nature. Thanks.

Dams and obstructions in the Chicago area -->
http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/dam.html
Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

The guy you talked to at bps was right about one thing, The Fox is a good river for smallmouth bass. you can also catch largemouths (and many other species of fish ), but they are not nearly as prevalent. The fox is a relatively shallow river and since you have some experience wading should not be a problem most of the time. As far as secret baits go, I dont believe there is such a thing but i'm a soft plastic and jig kind of guy and have found that the colors white, pearl, pumpkinseed, chartruese, and black work well at different times. Twister tails and minnow imitating baits are a good place to start. As far as secret spots go, there really aren't many secrets on this river. There are hundreds of good spots from algonquin to yorkville and if you can read a river you shouldn't have a problem finding fish. Do a little research on where public parks and access points are and you should be good to go. good luck
WaterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Twister tails and minnow imitating baits are a good place to start. As far as secret spots go, there really aren't many secrets on this river. There are hundreds of good spots from algonquin to yorkville and if you can read a river you shouldn't have a problem finding fish. Do a little research on where public parks and access points are and you should be good to go. good luck
Thats some real good advice. Raps, inline-spinners,and as the water cools fathead minnows will land more fish. In the same areas you would look for in any river up North West. BTW welcome aboard.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

try buffalo park its a good place
daniel908 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

secret lure is whatever Ed's using...
dapj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

just take a look at all the archives
Old 10-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

where are these archives? i mean i can look thru all the posts on the boards, but i cant seem to find these "archives" i hear so much about
dapj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapj88
secret lure is whatever Ed's using...
true dat, true dat
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
JB

Quote:
where are these archives? i mean i can look thru all the posts on the boards, but i cant seem to find these "archives" i hear so much about

Those are the archives....you can also use the "Search" button along the top tool bar and search for certain subjects with in threads.....

i.e. Fox River/ flatheads
i.e. DesPlaines/ dogfish
and so on, hope this helps!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in