Bucks - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bucks

Hi Guy's
Just wondering is anyone starting to see the bucks trying to run the doe's yet ? We saw a few young bucks trying to run doe's last week. Good Hunting Trapper
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just now starting to Trap!

Next two weeks should get interesting!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

2 days ago the bucks were still together, should be anytime before they start chasing.
Fire In The Hole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Last night does and fawns were still together. The button buck fawns were grunting and chasing the doe fawns. They would start messing with the momma does and get popped by a front foot, like don't try that crap with me! I saw three dink bucks running together, chasing each other around a picked bean field, even sparring a little. I set my Dad up about 1/2 mile north of me, he didn't see any chasing but did see a nice buck and some does and fawns.

I have not seen many deer at all yet this season, last night was the exception...it's the only farm in a few mile radius with the corn picked. That has something to do with it for sure.

They are starting to move.

Dave B.
huntnfish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Hunt
You are right for sure , movement will pick up as the corn comes down and the rut comes closer. Right now it is still warm and with the corn up they don't have to scrounge for food they can move later and eat and get back into the woods or just lay down in the corn, you will see alot more movement in the next 2 weeks. Good Hunting Trapper
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Interesting article in the November "Field & Stream! "Best Days of the Rut", and "When to Use Scents, Calls, Rattling, and Decoys!

This is well written, and some good reading! You will love the first paragraph, and the reference made! Some good sound advise here, in my opinion! Get ready, it's here!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

i just read that last night at work... amusing, the first paragraph. and like you said alot of good info, some will correct things i've done in the past. i usually will apply new ideas/technics as a general rule, but be ready for the off the wall stuff. example, when they suggest to not use the bleat call during peak rut. i sat down along a weedy edge near a creek that funneled out of CPR scrub on my last day of the first gun season. on my knees i ran the bleat twice and listened. i hear brush moving, then stop. one more call and the brushing is getting closer, so i raise my gun to the open area and out steps a nice 7 pt. i'm leveled out him but don't move and let him walk... i already had a buck and was bleating for a doe.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's funny! I think we have all learned some things from our time in the field. (I mean our mistakes!) Some we may not want to post.

Bet you wish you had a fawn bawl going on that day, huh? That is one call that will bring in doe very well. I have used a fawl bawl to bring in coyotes in the spring, and had doe come instead! Their motherly instincts are strong! (remember this one ghost!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in