Slug gun question...need some help. - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Slug gun question...need some help.

OK guys this post may seem shameless and a bit cheesy but I wanted to know if anyone has a slug gun they could lend me for this firearm season. My wife is pregnant with our second set of twins and times are really tight. The hunting budget is getting cut. I put in for the daily draw and did not expect to get picked. I could give you collateral and a guy or two on this board could vouch for me that I won’t run off with your gun. You might be helping a man get his first deer and my kids would join me on the hunt. Post, pm or email [email protected] Thanks.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

My thoughts on it are that if you already own a shotgun you're set. Just go buy rifled slugs for it and hunt. Any smooth bore shotgun with rifled slugs should be accurate enough out to 50 yards. Locate the thickest cover you can find in that area and hunt it. If you're able to shoot more than 40 yards you are not in thick enough cover. The really big ones will be heading for it opening morning once the barrage starts. Just beat them to it. Good luck.
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow!! second set of twins.... I am also shooting out of a smooth bore gun. I tried a couple of different slugs and found one that I can put three in about a coffee can size target at 60 yards. Mind you that this is off of a shooting bench, but with a set of sticks I hape I can do the same. Good luck with the soon to be additions to the family and the hunt.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM
My thoughts on it are that if you already own a shotgun you're set. Just go buy rifled slugs for it and hunt. Any smooth bore shotgun with rifled slugs should be accurate enough out to 50 yards. Locate the thickest cover you can find in that area and hunt it. If you're able to shoot more than 40 yards you are not in thick enough cover. The really big ones will be heading for it opening morning once the barrage starts. Just beat them to it. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused. I can use rifled slugs in my gun, an upland over/under? What about my adjustable chokes, just use the most open one?
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have heard different thoughts on this. 1. Use the full choke tube as it will "squeeze" the slug keeping the gasses behind it to give you better reach and accuracy down range. 2. Use the most open choke tube (not sure which it is either modified or improved) so the choke doesn't effect the slug as much leaving the barrel. Personally the guns I shoot slugs from are both smooth bore crack barrels with no choke adjustments. One is a modified and the other is an improved. Both shoot slugs equally well. Just be sure to buy slugs designed to be shot from smooth bore shotguns. I also put the question of which choke to use on another site I visit. We'll see what kind of answers come back from there.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbarthelt

With an over/under, you have the benefit of a fixed action too... these are generally the more accurate styles. I use a bolt action shotgun myself, and they and breakaways seem to be the most accurate hands down. (Think Tar-Hunt and H&R Slug hunter). I would personally use the most open choke, because I would think the slug might slam into a restricting tube and cause erratic paths.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbarthelt

With an over/under, you have the benefit of a fixed action too... these are generally the more accurate styles. I use a bolt action shotgun myself, and they and breakaways seem to be the most accurate hands down. (Think Tar-Hunt and H&R Slug hunter). I would personally use the most open choke, because I would think the slug might slam into a restricting tube and cause erratic paths.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Apparently the improved will be your best bet. Put that in and go shoot some practice shots to check out your accuracy.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

hey rookie, i know how it is to miss hunting season. why don't you call me and we'll talk about the possibility of you useing my 11-87 slug gun. i will need it 1st season, but i may be able to help you 2nd season. check your pm.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ken, I'm disappointed! Why didn't you call me first, you know I'm the guy to hook you up. How about a Mossberg 695 slug gun (fully rifled barrel and scope to boot)? I need to get my decoys I left at your place anyway so I need to take a ride out your way. If you still have my number, give me a call. If not, shoot me a PM and we'll set something up.
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in