CLF Ice Derby! Sat. Jan. 27 Deep Lake - Lake Villa !!!!! - Page 17 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #161 (permalink)

Thinking polaris or new honda.... Polaris is ahead based on Canadians beating them up and loving polaris....

Old 01-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #162 (permalink)

Looks like you guys had a good time. Sorry I couldn't make it but I had already volunteered to help with the kids clinic on Channel and wasn't about to disappoint the kids.
I missed fishing with all you guys and I look forward to getting on the ice with some soon.
Next weekend I am in Wisconsin at Pelican and the following weekend Lake Dubay. Then I get a weekend free to hook up with the locals and maybe off to Mn for the weekend of the 23rd.
Might have to have the flag day the weekend of the 17th. Details soon.
Thanks for the pictures, atleast I can see how much fun you guys had.
If anyone is heading in the direction I am over the few weekends let me know maybe can hook up for some iceing.

Smelt
smeltaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #163 (permalink)

I had a great time meeting everyone and seeing others again. JD, I'm looking forward to the trip!

Ed and everyone else that contributed, thanks for putting this together!

I knew I should have kept that gill!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #164 (permalink)

Blu, go ahead and get that Polaris or Honda, you've got my number so that I can come pull you out

Yes, the Arctic cats are a bit heavier than Mikes machine, but again, his is a 300 suzuki, ours are 650's! They really aren't any heavier than the other brands in the same class. The reality is that most of us really don't NEED machines that big. Something in the 400 or even 500cc clase would do just fine, but we all want "more power". Heck, a 650 isn't even a big machine anymore, it's really a midsize... Kawi has a 750, Yamaha and AC both have 700's and CanAm has the 800 Outlander! Word is that AC is working on a 950 to be released for '08! Even I can't see the need for that. What I put the most stock in is ground clearance (AC has the most at 12") reliability (one of the best warranties out there) and usability of the machine. If you check out the AC speedrack system, you'll see why I love the AC's!

Anyway, back to the derby. It was great to see you all out there. thanks to everyone for making it out after us juggling the schedule twice before. Even though we had to reschedule, I think it was worth the wait to have decent ice. It looks like the ice will stay with us for awhile.

the highlight of my trip was watching my daughter Emily on her first ever ice fishing outing. She honestly caught more than I did and I have to admit, I was trying! In my defense though, the fish really were suspended and she did have the Vex in her hole. I was surprise at how quickly she grasped the concept of how the Vex worked, how to read it and how to adjust her depth to catch suspended fish! We didn't kill them but she wound up with 5 crappies and 9 bluegill for a total of 14 (3 crappies and 6 gils for me ).

The good news is that she is already looking forward to the Walk On Water Ice outing next Saturday at Bangs lake. I think she may be hooked

Thanks again to everyone for showing up, sorry I didn't get to hang out at the after party, had to hurry home for an afternoon inspection (got to pay for all these trips to Gander Mtn!)

Oh, one more thing... about that "bad trailer"... that trailer now has close to 5,000 miles on it since the problem I had without a single issue! If this trailer is "bad", I hope it stays that way
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #165 (permalink)

"My orignal plan was to haul people back on the ATV & trailer, but that's not going to happen now (had to change trailers)"

Anyway I need to swing by a few dealers etc. Might need one before next Okoboji trip for trophy perch. But can borrow a Kawasaki if needed....

Old 01-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #166 (permalink)

Blu the only reason I got a suzuki is I got it for a song. I only paid $2000.00 for it and it was only 18 months old and had 87 mi. on the odomingator. If I was going to buy a new machine I'd be looking into a yamaha 500cc, just so I could put a plow on it. Another reason to use it. A guy out sat. had a new 350cc kowasoki , I'm sure it would do very nicely, and was just clean looking. The only reason I bought mine is, I'm to lazy to walk anymore.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #167 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Dispite having a pretty bad cold (man that's a sick looking Ed in the picture JD ) I was happy I was there and glad I could make it
What a great bunch of guys :P
Old 01-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #168 (permalink)

I can't believe it, you telling me that JD is the only one that has pictures from this event. C'mon guys where are all the pictures of that day?
bassbuster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #169 (permalink)

It's embarassing! I brought my camera and left it in the truck No pictures of my daughter's first ice outing.. what a shame..Oh, well, there will be pics of the second one at the Walk on Water outing next Saturday!

Blu, I got ya now! I thought I was hauling up the big trailer of my brothers with 2 machines (the one that Fishhead towed to Mille Lacs this past week). It's too big for my machine to pull. As it turned out, I wound up only needing one machine, so I brought my little trailer but still didn't windup shuttling people back and forth. Most guys just walked back...I did give JD a ride though due to his bum leg
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #170 (permalink)

I spent the entire weekend home with the whole family having the stomach flu Glad you guys had fun
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in