High water? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default High water?

High water more current.The fish move up stream with more current correct?If thats the case then Ottawa should have more fish after the water goes down.The colder weather should push the fish into deeper holes correct? I"m just trying to learn all I can. Is there any tracking studies on the Illinois river? With all the lock and dams I would be interested to see how many fish actualy lock through the locks and move from pool to pool. JUst wondering.
nepeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Don't know a number of fish that lock through....but if they are smart enough to pull the tender chain then I don't have much chance in fooling them little einstines into eating a big jig.

most fish in the Peoria Pool stop at the dam in their migration. Some never even have to go that far.
uplandk9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I caught a sauger in pool 7 that came from dodgeville on the wis river. That`s what the dnr said from the tag on it. Thats going thru 3 dams on the miss river!!! Its alittle easier there because they will open the rollers all the way in high water. Still about 80 mi on the rivers.
Drop-N-Stay
B&B Bait boxes
john mannerino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

John , Thats why I was asking?I work on the river I know occasionaly under VERY high water the dams will just open there gates and let her flow.Most of the time they don't.Matter of fact its rare they do,but I have heard of it.That means if these fish are coming up to Ottawa or Morris or even farther they are going through the locks.Thats why I was wondering for instance, the fish in Ottawa come up stream just from the upstream side of the Starved rock locks or are they coming all the way from Peoria? Its seems to me the more high water we have means more fish in the Ottawa, Morris area. Most of the fish are stocked in the Starved Rock pool or lower from what I gather.I have caught 4 saugers in the last year in a back water near Morris.Now I have heard they did a small stocking around Dresdan a couple of years ago these fish may have come down stream to Morris. I just think its interesting.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

nepeg,

Sorry for the silly reply. I think that the amount of fish that do make it through the lock and dam is very small when you compare it to the amount of stocking that both pools get......and the stocking numbers are even smaller when compared to the natural reproduction of the river....now that is alot of fish.

They do stock the Ottawa Pool, in fact I believe a few years ago that pool got more than the Starved Rock Pool for some reason or another. But the natural recruitment is what makes this river such a good sauger river, and the Ottawa Pool has a large natural walleye population too, thats goes along with the stocking that Ottawa gets of walleye too.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

upland, No need to apologize.I thought it was funny.Like I said I'm trying to learn from you guys.I read almost all of the Illinois river post.I don't get to spend much time out there like some of you guys.I have had some good days and some skunks lately its been skunks or a fish here and a fish there,but I almost always fish the Ottawa area. Thats why I ask questions.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

There aren't too many spots in Ottawa that I know about....but I do know that the later we get in the year, the fish drop out into deeper water...so, the community spot at the 23 bridge might not be the best spot in late fall into winter....PM me for info on the spot I will be fishing on New Years Day.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

upland. Yes it is true that the ottawa pool has recieved more stocking than the starved rock pool in the last 5 years.( I read it somewhere) Looks like new years is out for me,going out with the wife on the eve, first time in years!!!. It looks like it is going to settle down before that so I might have to sneek out for a day before that. Going to fish pool 9-10 in january. It will feel GOOD to get back to the miss for sure. I wonder if I still remember how to pitch a jig!!!!!!!
Drop-N-Stay
B&B Bait boxes
john mannerino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

hey nepeg - here is a IDNR document from March 06' talking about the status of the fishery.

http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/06%20Wal...tus_Report.pdf
Illinois River is page 10.

From what I understand, the fish go upstream in the spring to spawn and once they spawn head back downstream, so I would guess that if everything comes together (water level, temp, time of year) they would go into the next pool if they can make it past the dam, but if it's getting too close to spawn time, and conditions are not right, they congregate at the dam and spawn there. I've also read some material from other States that the fry tend to drift downstream after hatching, so there could be a two way exchange in effect. There are sauger in the Morris pool, and a there has to be a pretty good native population, but I wonder if any migrants may actually be from the K3 or DesPlaines. Iím sure itís a mix from everywhere, but you donít see the Asian Carp in the Morris pool like you do around SR or even Ottawa, and there has to be a reason. I don't claim to know anything about this, just some ideas I put together after some research, so please don't take offense if you disagree.

Also, check your pm nepeg
RiverRat242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in