Shut down for a week or two - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shut down for a week or two

After a great hunt yesterday at Coon Creek, my two year old lab came out with a limp. We were in the dreaded field 5 that is 15 acres and 5/8 of it is grass that is over 5' tall and thick. She did a great job of flushing and retreiving birds, finding every downed bird.

Once we got home she jumped down out of my durango favoring her left front leg. I did an examination on her, finding no cuts or anything impaled, not even any swelling. Just a tired dog with a bad limp.

Later that afternoon she started to swell. By this morning it was pretty out of shape. I called my vet and got her in. Good old country vet, he did a physical exam and determined that there were no broken bones, just soft tissue damage. Keep her quiet for a week to ten days.

I guess we are out of the field for a couple of weeks. Kelsey and I will have to hunt vicariously through all of you guys for a while. She will proabably go stir crazy before I do.
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've had this happen with my lab and my brother's. When we get home we open the door to have them jump down and they let out a cry and go 3 legged. After a few days of rest they are usually fine. If you think about it after playing a sport for an hour or 2 when you take an extended break (for an hour) your muscles tighten up. Then you attempt to play the sport again and you strain a muscle. Hopefully that is all that happened. Like me you will probably be lifting the dog in and out of the truck from now on.
Fire In The Hole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in