shooting shotguns/target near chicago - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default shooting shotguns/target near chicago

where in the **** can I go to shoot some hand thrown clays around the chicago area. back where I'm from, any old empty backroad would do. any suggestions?
mark lunetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

there are a few clubs speard around - What area are you by?

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Go to the desplaines conservation area..both fields are right off the highway...and its free.....
Wallifry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Des plaines is free but you have to bring your own thrower and clays. Plus I am pretty sure its closed during phesant hunting. Also I am pretty sure Silver springs has the same deal.

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default place to shot

theres a place 55 and i think pulaski you can see it off of 55 do not now the name but it is in the south east corner of oak forest hospital i will be out that way today i get the name and some info for you jon
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mark, welcome to the state of chicago with Anti gun zealots Mayor Daly and Gov Blagoyivich leading the way. This state is so anti-gun it is ridiculous. Don't know where you live, but the IDNR Website has listings of the nearest places, (Des Plaines and Silver Springs). Harvard Sportsman's Club in Harvard has open trap shooting, as does McHenry Sportsmans Club. Both are in McHenry County away from the city. Coon Creek Hunt Club in Garden Prairie just got approval to start a sporting clays course. Also there is St. Charles Sportsmans Club in Elburn, which is a great place for skeet, trap and sporting clays.

Ironically, this state just opened the World Shooting Sports Complex in Sparta, Il., (between St. Louis and Alton). I haven't been there yet, but talking to those that have say it is incredible.

Hope this helps you somewhat in shooting areas!

Louie L.
Louie L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

He asked specifically for a place for Hand thrown targets and I think about all the spots have been mentioned. Your best bet though would be a local trap & skeet club.
The one's Louie mentioned are good choices and depending where you're at there are many other clubs in the area. Many though are not in the town in their name. For example, Aurora sportsmans club is currently in Sugar Grove (soon to be moving!) and St. Charles Sportsman's club is in Elburn. Anyway, some other clubs to try are: Naperville, Newark, Downers Grove, Palos, Frankfort, Troy, Knollwood, Maywood, Northbrook, Oak Park, Coal City, Sycamore, Hickory Hills and others I've lost money at but forgotten!
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Tubes..I overlooked the Hand thrown specific...if you really want to hand throw, then the IDNR website is where to go.. Des Plaines, Silver Springs in Plano (my favorite), and also I think Shabbona State Park has hand throw areas; but you have to check dates as to when the ranges are open and closed; Silver Springs closed while Pheasant Hunting is in operation for example. I also believe that the Chain of Lakes has a hand throw area as well, but would have to check webpage for cetainty. Another thing to FYI would be the use of Non-Toxic shot as this may be a site specific thing as well...best thing is to check in with a site superintendent (Ranger) where you intend to shoot.

Hope this helps in the long run!

Louie L.
Louie L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know the last time out On Point could not offer skeet, however for a hand held thrower it should not be a problem to find a field out there to accomidate. I'll be talking to Jamie tomarrow and I will find out were you could go. Depending on where you live it's a nice drive in the country.
birdogman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in