24V Trolling Motor issue - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 24V Trolling Motor issue

I have noticed a decrease on the power of my trolling motor. I have an 80lb thrust Min Kotta, and it does not seem to give the power it should. It is wired for 24 volts and I have new Trojan batteries. After fishing a couple hours at Shabbona I took the batteries out of the boat to charge them and noticed that one was still at 100% charge and the other is at 50%. Unfortunately I do not know which battery was hooked up to which cable. Is it possible that the trolling motor is only drawing power from one battery? I suppose I could test each set seperately to see if I am drawing power. Any other suggestions? I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks,
Matt
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you checked the prop? There might be line or something wrapped around the inside of it. Other then that I got nothing. Mops
mops7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Battery

Hey Matt, best thing I can think of is to charge 'em and then test them. Most "good" auto shops have the equipment to test battery's. The best thing going is a tester made by 'Mid-tronics' that you just hook up and enter the info.on the battery(cca,temp,before/after charge,etc.) and it will tell you the condition of the battery. It can even tell you if it's a dead cell.
Last but not least always make sure that your terminal connections are clean/tight.

check your pm's too
Old 04-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your assumption could only be true if each battery is hooked up separately to the trolling motor. I thought that there was only two wires coming of the trolling motor so that the batteries are hooked up in series. I could be very wrong on that though.

Check the water levels in your batteries as well. Generally a 1/4 inch below the vent well.

If you don't want to lug them to an auto store to be checked, you can by a $5 battery checker and test at home.

I have tested trojan batteries that have bad welds. You need to eliminate the batteries first in your search.
Deploy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I will test the batteries.
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in