Goose and Duck Favorites - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2002, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just got back from pulling off,what I hope to be,many batches of Goose and Duck breast jerky. yum yum.

My jerky recipe is very simple. Filet out the breast and slice into 1/8 inch thick pieces. Soak in a jerky brine. I use backwoods from Gander Mountain. Soak for 12-24 hours. Put the strips in a dehydrater for another 6-10 hours depending on how you like it. Pull out and enjoy. They won't last long. If you don't have a dehydrater then the lowest setting on your oven will work. Just find a way to hang them or I will do it for a small goose fee...

For the leg quarters put in a crock pot with potatos,carrots, onions, a little water and a cream of mushroom soup mix. Let cook on low all day. Invite your friends who don't like goose or duck...this will change their minds. Serve with wild rice and your favorite cut of beans and of course a good red wine.

Anyone else have any favorite recipes as this hunting season gets kicked into high gear?

HJ
HunterJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2002, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

I usually breast out all my game birds.

Duck: I treat puddle ducks like fine steak. Sometimes I marinate them in the fridge for a few hours with Italian salad dressing or red wine vinegar. Grill medium-rare. Serve with whatever you like to have with steak. Give friends that have never eaten wild duck a taste. Tell them it's a piece of steak you got from a fancy butcher. They will have new-found respect for hunting. Sometimes I make an awesome woodie samitch on garlic bread with sautéed onions after a hunt. But, more often lately when I get home I fall asleep until well past dark.

<font color="#FFFF00">Note: With few exceptions, don't give friends a diver. That's for your 4-legged hunting buddy. If fido still doesn't want it, wrap it in a slice of cheese first.</font>

Canada Goose: Goose breasts are usually made into jerky to share on each hunt. Big hit in the pit or blind. Haven't yet settled on one recipe. I've used wet brines, and dry rubs before dehydrating. Both commercial and homemade brands. I can't stand overly dry, tough, and/or salty jerky. I do like tender, spicy, or sweet/sour recipes the best. Don't overdo the spicy to prove how big your nadz are. Everyone will say they are great (to showcase the even larger size of their nadz), but they probably will not ask for more.

<font color="#FFFF00">Note: Don't give friends snow/blue geese. Carefully can using grandma's proven canning instructions. Set outside Argonne Labs for proper disposal at nuclear waste site. </font>

Pheasant: Can be used in any chicken recipe, but can be a bit dry. I like two ways of preparing pheasant. One is pheasant stir-fry, the other is pheasant pot-pies. These eliminate the dryness problem.

My wife usually makes the stir-fry for me. You'll have to ask her for the recipe. She'll tell you to take a hike - like the last time I asked he to make some for me. If I was going to do it myself, I'd buy one of those stir-fry chicken kits. Replace or add cooked pheasant pieces to the chicken. Add more of whatever vegetables you like - water chestnuts, pea pods, bean sprouts, etc. Add more stir-fry sauce from a bottle. Spice to taste with favorite hot-sauce. Don't offer the wife any. Enjoy in a separte room with your favorite brew.

For the pot pies, I buy individual size foil tins. Accumulate a bunch of pheasant breasts. Make filling by slow-stewing a large batch of cubed and cooked pheasant pieces, cream-of-whatever soups, peas, carrots, pearl onions, cubed potatoes, fresh button mushrooms. Season to taste, and allow to cool. To add richness a little pork fat rules , or ****, if it's not available just throw in a stick of butter (keep this to yourself). If the filling needs thickening add some corn starch/water. Line the tin bottom with a leaf of puff-pastry dough. Spoon cool filling into tin, top with a few leafs of dough. Crimp edges with a fork. Stab a few slices in dough to vent. Freeze. To cook, put in pre-heated 450° oven for about 45 minutes. Puff pastry should rise and be golden brown and flakey. Filling should just be bubbling out. Check filling by inserting a butter knife. If the knife comes out cold, cook a few more minutes.

Slap a bow on some frozen pies and give away to friends and family. They will rave about it. Some will even want to hunt for the first time. Perfect meal for a cold fall/winter day watching a football game (or whatever it is da Bears do).

I gave some pies to a guy running a hunt club years ago. He gave one to a member. The member opened up a business making pheasant pot pies from my basic recipe. He improvised the recipe too, and replaced the puff pastry dough with standard stuff.

Quail: Is there any better tasting game bird? It's delicate and tender, almost sweet tasting. Whatever can be done with chicken, can be done better with quail. You name it. Quail marsala, quail fettuccine, quail fajitas, quail jambalaya, sweet & sour quail, quail salad ...

Dove: Is there any other way? Top with a thick slice of waterchestnut. Wrap with bacon. Grill. Baste with a favorite sauce (bar-b-que, A1, etc.)

<font color="#FFFF00">*Remember to share your bounty with folks that have been denied the taste of fresh wild game. It's the original organic food! The poor bass-tards may have no idea the best stuff on earth doesn't come shrink wrapped from the grocery after enduring a long, filthy journey of contamination.

You just might recruit one more new sportsman for our side!
</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goosepit on 2002-10-21 22:41 ]</font>
Old 10-21-2002, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Goose; you forgot the Quail on toast.
I raised Bobwhites, Ringnecks and a few Chinese Goldens as a kid. My dad always said there was nothing better than quail on toast for breakfast. I've never eaten one.
Gosh darn, now I'm starvin.
Any Luc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2002, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey Goosepit,
You forgot a couple.
With Pheasant
Slice breasts thinnly. One side should be cut down to two etc. Dredge in egg and then in spicy breadcrumbs. Your choice on what spicy is. I use Italian breadcrumbs and seasoning salt. Throw in a pan with a little hot oil and turn after a minute or so. Don't overdo otherwise gets tough. Yum Yum. They melt in your mouth.

With dove I like to wrap breasts around a whole Jalopenio(sp.) and then wrap in bacon. Throw on hot fire until medium.
Ok now I am really getting hungry.

I love the pot pies! The hunt club I hunt at Has them and you can occasionally buy them. They are great.
Shoot straight! Shoot often!
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in