BIG BUCKS ?????? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2002, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Why is every one after a big buck thats like a farmer taking his prize bull to the slaughterhouse doesnt make more sence to take a lesser buck or doe and let the big one stay in the gene poll
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2002, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

1 permit, lots of money spent! you gonna put 150Lb of meat in the deep freeze or just 75lb?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2002, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

If the deer is in rut, the animal & meet stinks, unless you are going to grind it up for sausage. My ideal deer is one of those little ones! Enough for some tender steaks & roasts & still some left over for sticks & jerky. Real easy to drag, hang etc. This doesn't mean I don't shoot larger deer, I have no problem shooting any size or sex deer but, I prefer something that is more palatable.
As far as monetary concerns, you could buy the best cuts of beef at the butcher & still come out money ahead.
I saw some deer tonight while duck hunting, 3 does & a nice buck, couldn't tell how many points though. Makes me want to get the bow out again.
biotroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2002, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

<font color="#FFFF00">"...and let the big one stay in the gene poll
"</font>

Marshrat,

This seems like a valid concern.

It's also a theory often spouted by anti-hunters in protest of trophy hunting. They like to exploit what they perceive as controversial issues to create discord amongst hunters. Divide and conquer if you will.

An important fact has to be ignored to buy into this flawed theory: It took several years for that buck to reach its trophy size. He has been donating his genes to every doe within miles for all those years. Meanwhile, his offspring have been doing the same. You are not removing that animal's genes from the pool. They will always be there.

Also consider that if taking trophy animals from the herd was in fact detrimental, then why do the record books continue to grow from year to year? The opposite would be the case if that theory were true.

I'm not advocating one position over another. Just do what you think is right, and don't be swayed by propaganda. Think for yourself.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Goosepit, excellent point on how that big buck has already passed his genes into the gene pool via his offspring. This is why if I mount an 8lb bass, I don't want to hear that I am hurting the gene pool. How many times has that fish already spawned?
My opinion is that age, not genes, is the determining factor for quality of bucks. What is the average age for a harvested buck in llinois? If the average buck is allowed to live 2 more years, what will his rack look like then? If they can grow older they will develop bigger antlers; it is as simple as that. This is why the forest perserves have such big bucks. Genetics and nutrition definetely play a role but a buck can't develop a world class rack if he is taken at 3 years old. Paul
Old 11-03-2002, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Paul,

I agree. Too bad there can't be a slot limit on bucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in