Sturgeon Bay vs. Lacrosse (Mississippi and Onalaska) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2002, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Gonefishin

I have a question one or more of you would be able to answer. I am planning a trip almost ready to book, but decided to ask your expertise first here. I am fishing for Smallies the weekend of June 6th - 9th 2003 and am wondering which would be a better spot to fish Sturgeon Bay which I have never fished before or Lacrosse (Mississppi River) and Onalaska which I have fished and had good luck at? Any advise would be helpful? Looking for some brutes.

Thanks in advance
GF
CPR always
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2002, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am planning a trip to Sturgeon Bay right around that time. I have heard quite a few excellent reviews of the fishing quality there. To be more specific, I come from the northern part of lower Michigan. There is some truely fantastic fishing in that area (in fact, for most living there, fishing is a way of life). Even the hardcore fisherman living there now have favorable things to say about Sturgeon Bay and what it has to offer. Believe me, usually if you talk about fishing somewhere other than northern Michigan, these guys turn up their noses (with exception to Canada). I'm pretty excited to give my fishing skills a test next spring in the bay.

Sorry, I have no comment on the Mississippi - never fished there nor investigated.
Ripjaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2002, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Since you know the river, that may be your safer choice, but Sturgeon Bay can be some of the best smallmouth fishing around. Brutes may be easier to find earlier than June in S.B.

You have to know how to play the weather in Green Bay, but there's almost always somewhere safe to fish, assuming you have a boat.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2002, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can not give an opinion of the Mississippi or Onalaska but I do know the waters of Sturgeon Bay very well. June is prime time for smallmouth bass and "brutes" are quite common. We were smallmouth fishing off the northern tip of the peninsula this past weekend,(See Door County Report Nov. 1st, 2nd, 3rd on the wisconsin board). Only one of our bass weighed under four pounds. Fall is trophy time and the largest bass of the year are taken when the water temps drop below 55 degrees. During June the bite is great and the waters of Little Sturgeon, Riley's Bay and Sand Bay are the first to warm. These areas were also producing some monster fish this past weekend.
With the exception of November and December, there is almost always a good bite going on around Sturgeon Bay.
Might I add;
Don't forget the walleye and northern pike Sturgeon Bay has to offer. Also, wives love Door County. Mine has to tag along when I'm working up there.
Any Luc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2002, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Gonefishin

Thanks all for your responses

Any Luc,

Since you've been there before I would like to ask if you know of any reputable place to stay. There will be 3 adults, 18ft. glass bassboat and preferibly a cottage on the Bay with private dock to leave boat in over the weekend. Also, I have been doing some diggin since I have never been there and there are so many different bays such as Ellison Bay, Egg Harbor, etc. Which one is the best location to stay at? And what is Little Sturgeon Bay?

Thanks
Gonefishin
Old 11-07-2002, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gonefishin;
Little Sturgeon is Door County's southernmost harbor. It may be the most productive harbor the area has to offer. Structure and habitat aplenty with rock, weeds, humps, points, and two or three creeks that flow into it. The area around Squaw Island Peninsula holds many species of fish. My wife took eight species off this point one day. For smallmouth it's pretty darn good. Walleye and northern are found in the back of the weedy bays and even Musky prowl these waters at times.
Hotspots Maps offers a book of Door County waters which includes all near shore water for the Door peninsula. They also have a Sturgeon Bay only map which has Little sturgeon, Riley's Bay, Sand bay, Sawyer harbor, Larson's Reef, Monument Shoals and of course Sturgeon Bay.
Keep in mind, everything gets going in the southern harbors first. Water temps in the fifty's are prime for big bass. The water up the peninsula can be ten degrees cooler in the spring. So if your not finding big gals, go north.
Where to stay? I'll have to send that info in an e mail so as not to get yanked by the scruff of my neck right out of here.
Any Luc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2003, 08:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LUNKERMAN2000

definetly go to door county I lived there for 3 years and the fishing is great and like LUC said with all the bays you can usualy get out to fish on one of them if the weather is windy I didn't see it mentioned but the fishing off the old stone quarry on the northwest side of stugeon bay is also goods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in