i have a new fishing buddy! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2002, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

well i just got back from grand marais mn, and i took my 10 year old son out with me. and after 10 years he's HOOKED now. kids are tough you drive 60+ miles to a good spot fish for ten minutes and there done, so you have to walk through the woods or catch frogs with them. so on my yearly ice fishing trip, he said that he wanted to go. well after cleaning out my shorts my fish. all he talked about was the trip all the way home. dad can we go again, can we go next week, will mom let us go, can you buy me my own tip ups. all my patience has finally paid off!!!
bottom bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2002, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Great story BB!That's the way it should be.You just burned a memory in his head that will last forever and may have created a monster It kinda started like that for me when I was a kid too.How long of a drive was it for you?How much do you think it cost for the entire trip?One more did you drive on the lake/lakes?It doesn't look like we will have decent ice here this year so I may have to take a drive.Thank's BB.Talk with ya later.Bill D>
Fishinglineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2002, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

bottom bouncer,
how far up the trail did you go.
I've been heading up the Gunflint since it was gravel just out of Grand Marais.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

i still got a smile from ear to ear! the lodge we stayed at was having a 75th anniversary, got a cabin for 70$ a night divided by two came to 35$ a night. the drive was just about 10 hours. but the north shore of lake superior is awsome so the last 2 hours fly by. did not drive on the lake, 18" of ice would hold a car with out flinching but there was a good sized snow drift at the ramp. the walleye lake was east twin lake did not try west twin. the access road was 353 i think about 15 miles up the trail. their are a few other more popular motels and the cheapest that i found other than the one i stayed at was 58$ a night. the lodge i stayed at just finished it's special, now that same cabin goes for 140$ a night.
bottom bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2002, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

This sign points to alot of fun!
[img]/Gunflintsign.jpg[/img]
Old 12-12-2002, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey BB
thats great that your son went along and it went so smooth. my boy is 11 and started to go with me 2 years ago, but only a couple of times. he tells me he's ready to go now, but i'm still not sure of a road trip. so hopefully after we can get out on the ice near home he'll show the same enthusiasm.

just when you think that the kid hates you and wants nothing else to do with you, cause you wont play playstation any more, he throws you for a loop and asks to go with. the only thing that tops that is when he says "I love you, dad"
Dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2002, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great story BB,my 2 kids have been fishing with me since they were literally babies, but still can't go all day like your son. My oldest (just turned 9) asked about going on my annual spring Canada trip with the guys but after hearing of 10 to 12 hour days on the water just seemed to be a bit much. We still take a summer Canada trip but there's tubing, swimming island exploring and stuff like that along with fishing.The 9 yr.old's big fish is a 30" Northern and the 6 yr. old's is a 27" northern along with a 22" Walleye,I think I get a bigger thrill when they yell "FISH ON" than they do Ed S.
MR. Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2002, 12:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fire224

Great story about the boy getting Hooked on ice fishing. I have two daughters myself, ages 2 and 3. I don't think their will be a third, so a son is out of the question. My greatest hope for my fishing future is that at least on of my girls will enjoy fishing with me on a regular basis, open water and through the ice.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

That is a wonderful story bb, that's what fishing and the outdoors is all about. I have a 3 yr old son and we've been fishing for a year now he always wants to go fishing with me(I hope it stays that way) His biggest fish was at a fishing derby this year a 7lb carp.
fishtooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in