no geese on 12/30 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2002, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default no geese on 12/30

Hunted this balmy morning on DesPlaines. Only saw a few geese, locals & well schooled. It just isn't right hunting in the warm weather, come on, give me some ice & a foot of snow while there is still time left!
biotroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2002, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think that goose season is closed Bud it has been since Dec. 8
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2002, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Justin, the central zone goose season is still open. :P
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2003, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

O! sorry
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2003, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Justin,

The nz,cz dividing line is I-80.

Biotroller hunts the DesPlaines Conservation Area which is in the cz south of I-80.

Strangely though, DCA is considered part of the special Northeast Zone for the early Sept. season.

Confusing?

PS

An influential land-owner/duck-hunter, tried to get the DNR to meander the logical nz,cz boundary south of I-80, around DCA and his private flooded fields, and then back up to I-80. His fields would now be in the nz. This would allow an earlier start to his season and first shot at the local birds. He would also avoid any early freeze-up prematurely closing down his hunting. It failed due to public outcry from hunters at the local advisory board meetings.

(Curiously each zone's waterfowl advisory committee was disbanded by the state the following year. You might speculate it was because they provided the only place where vocal opponents of the zone change were able to protest such an unfair proposal wreaking of political favoritism).

Imagine the additional confusion a meandering boundary over several counties would have caused when you throw the quota zones and need for reporting of the kill and punching a ticket into the mix? All the usual regs, phone reporting, ticket punching, etc, etc, ... plus now you would probably have to have notarized gps coordinates of the exact spot a dead bird fell for reporting purposes, and a legal representative all available for any CPO checks in the field!

Waterfowling!
Old 01-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't been out to the Desplaines much for ducks this year, a few times for geese. I've found less pressured public areas! More dificult access & a little further drive but, it keeps lots of the pain in the a$$ people away. I've had good success out near Momence, especially when it got cold with the ice. There have been times this season I did not see anyother hunters. What a treat!
biotroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2003, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey goose,

It's amazing how you can try and do something like that if you have enough money isn't it. I know the individual that you are speaking of "not personally" but myself and as many of my hunting buddies that I could find went to the DNR meeting about the proposal to move the north zone line further south, hopefully our voice helped stop that bs. After all if a normal joe like me tried to propose something like that I would just be laughed at.

COME ON COLD WEATHER!!!!! If mother nature doesn't hurry up I won't have very many geese in my freezer for the winter. No big pushes of geese down my way yet with only 2 weeks to go. This sux!!!!!
duck slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in