Hunters vs Fisherman ??? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hunters vs Fisherman ???

I apologize if this subject has been visited, but I need to know opinions. I fish a small PUBLIC lake (150 acres or so) for fall Muskie. The deep weedlines are very distinctive and close to shore. One of the best areas to fish is where hunters have a blind. This hunter bullied us out of the area. This has happened to me on the Chain as well. I even had a hunter point his shotgun at us as we drove by. We were at least 150 yards away. I don't anchor in any areas, we drift or troll through productive areas. Who has the right of way ? I certainly respect the hunters and try not to interfere, but the lake shouldn't belong to them because they have guns. Any thoughts or knowledge of the Law on this matter ?
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

250 yards is the rule, under that you can be sited for hunter harassment. Duck hunting is only 60 days out of the year, it usually ices up sooner than that. Give us a little bit of a break.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

If the hunter was pointing his shotgun at you,he doesn't belong out there anyway,no matter what the situation...J.M.H.O...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mother is correct. 250 yards.

If you see decoys spread out in front of a blind, just avoid that area. It is considered an "occupied" blind. Otherwise you can fish around an unoccupied blind.

After opening weekend, most blinds are unoccupied. Therefore it should not be a considerable inconvenience to you. Unless you are **** bent on stirring things up.

Good luck with the ski's. Don't forget to post pixs of your success!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's all about respect. How would / do you feel if during the summer some jet skier or boater decided he wanted to use the area / bay of the lake you were fishing and ruined your day, opportunities, or made it impossible for you to fish. Or just another fisherman jumping right in front of you where you were fishing. No bird is going to work into any decoys with someone sitting 150 yrds away and you aren't going to bother them if you stay 250 yrds away. Would you like to see some one come in and start trolling along a weed line you are obviously fishing - why would you want to fish in an occupied hunting area or run by someone duck hunting unless it was the only way to access another area. There many many more public opportunities / areas for fall fishing then there are for waterfowling. I do not and would never condone pointing a gun at anyone unless it was necessary for self defense. But, I certainly can understand one's frustration, We ( everyone who uses public resources to hunt or fish ) have all probably felt that way or experienced some bozo who either didn't know or most likely didn't care and ruined an out door experience for us. Ignorance is no excuse! We all know the seasons change and we have to share the land and water with other sportsmen and women. Learn and know the rules on public land and don't interfere with another sport. If you don't and YOU get yelled at or threatened - remember YOU were the dufus. who was at fault. RESPECT others as you would hope they would respect you!
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by localyokal
It's all about respect. How would / do you feel if during the summer some jet skier or boater decided he wanted to use the area / bay of the lake you were fishing and ruined your day, opportunities, or made it impossible for you to fish. Or just another fisherman jumping right in front of you where you were fishing. No bird is going to work into any decoys with someone sitting 150 yrds away and you aren't going to bother them if you stay 250 yrds away. Would you like to see some one come in and start trolling along a weed line you are obviously fishing - why would you want to fish in an occupied hunting area or run by someone duck hunting unless it was the only way to access another area. There many many more public opportunities / areas for fall fishing then there are for waterfowling. I do not and would never condone pointing a gun at anyone unless it was necessary for self defense. But, I certainly can understand one's frustration, We ( everyone who uses public resources to hunt or fish ) have all probably felt that way or experienced some bozo who either didn't know or most likely didn't care and ruined an out door experience for us. Ignorance is no excuse! We all know the seasons change and we have to share the land and water with other sportsmen and women. Learn and know the rules on public land and don't interfere with another sport. If you don't and YOU get yelled at or threatened - remember YOU were the dufus. who was at fault. RESPECT others as you would hope they would respect you!
the regulations on the Chain encourage hunter/fisherman issues. 250 yards? please. Why then, do they allow hunters to set their blinds in channels? The channels are sometimes less than 200 FEET wide! There is no way to navigate through without "harassing" hunters. the houses are less than 250 yards away!
Marabou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is not an uncommon scenario I would think in this Urban State we live in. Problem is many think they have some GOD given right to the property they occupy. Try to work it out. Hunting season is short and not to much Duck weather in the fall would really be good fishing weather I would think. If the guy points a gun your direction turn the jerk in. We have to police our own to a degree. There are a lot of people who participate in hunting and fishing who give the rest of us a bad name. It's a fact. I refrain from calling them outdoorsman. They have not earned that right. I'm not a muskie fisherman. But the location where the Blind was set up is prime habitat for Fall muskies? I would say if they are in the blind give them space. For safety 250 yds. is adequate, but I don't think the Duck Hunters would have too many birds flying in if you were sitting on the 250 yard marker from their location. I would go and come back another day. Or just fish another location. Sort of like someone fishing where you want to fish? Just because you want to fish there doesn't mean they have to move does it?? Or if they were fishing would ou just cast over their bow? If a boat was still fishing where you wanted to troll do you just troll across near them or respect their space too? I see two outdoor activities you both have to give a little?
In the Field Trial world when we play in the fall we come across Bow Hunters all the time. We tell them where we have see deer and actually help them locate them and move them towards the hunters. Many thank us for the support. Then there are the GEMS.
Good Luck.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

marabou, you need to learn how to read.
Quote:
unless it was the only way to access another area.
Anyone who sets up a blind, temporary or permanent, in a location that is a common access or the only access to other parts of public land, knows that full well and takes his chances being interupted when others use that access - THAT is not harrassment. On the other side of the coin, those who know someone is set up and hunting such an area shoud pay attention and not try to use the access if birds are working and when they do go through they would avoid the decoys and go through and leave the area as quickly as possible. Like I said in my very first statement. IT'S ALL ABOUT RESPECT. Some always expect it and never give it. The door swings both ways. If someone wants to cry sour grapes because he or she doesn't hunt and doesn't like the fact that hunting interfers with their fishing, and they fish near some one who is hunting or do something to spoil the hunters outing, that is only a testament to their bad character. R.E.S.P.E.C.T Some duesch bags just enjoy f#!cking with others because they can't fish where they want when they want. AND some hunters are new to the sport and don't have a clue either, but generally the duesch bag knows who he is.
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

LocalYokal,
You seem to be taking this personal, so I am assuming you are a hunter who has to contend with fisherman. Let me say that I am both although I haven't hunted in years. Some small facts about that day that I did not share. We were drifting and trolling the area first. The hunter came out at noon when it clouded up and adjusted his decoys that were in the water all morning, unattended. He shouted at us to leave the area unless we wanted buckshot landing in our boat. Let me make one thing clear, if I make my first pass on this drift and encounter a hunter, I would give him his space, but we were in the area and told to leave !!! What is your opinion on that ?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tikimahn

My two cents: thrillz, mentioning he had been there all morning, i think he deserved the spot. I'm sure if the man had asked thrillz nicely instead of demanding and pointing a gun at him, he probably would have had no problem moving elsewhere. I'm not a hunter, but i understand the season is very limited as many of us here know. Fact is nobody likes to be told what to do. If your like myself, and somebody your not acquainted with tells you to do something, your gonna ignore him and his bad manners and keep about what your doing. Now i know someone's gonna say thats an Ahole move, but the difference in asking nicely and demanding will get you two entirely different answers. I'm sure this is the case with most ppl, as most ppl don't like to be told what to do.

I know many ppl talk about fisherman having their "spot" or someone coming up on them when their fishing and casting over them. It's happened to me, and admittedly, i've been the line crosser(from a distance). However if i see someone fishing a spot i know holds fish, i'll ask them nicely if they mind if i make a few casts in their area. 9 times out of 10 it ends in a conversation about fishing and a trade of spots and techniques. Respect is everything, you show it, you get it. it's just that simple.
Tikimahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in