From the owner: Chicago's NEW SPORTSHOW - Page 24 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #231 (permalink)

My wife Pat and I went to the show last nite (fri.). We really enjoyed ourselves. The atmosphere was good the area I thought was well laid out. I did get a chance to meet Jim S. face to face. I thanks him for his efforts of putting on the event. I liked the wide aisles between booths. The format was excellent I though very down to earth and real. The interactive areas I thought were great. It helped get anyone who was attending involved if they so wished to do so. Not being a mizer to any extreme, this could have not been a more economical outing. We parked at the train terminal. I won one ticket. My wife's was 1/2 price. I took the computer survey sponsored by Plano and got $5.00 back the night cost me gas and $5.00 plus a bit for food. Hardly the bank breakers of the past. The show gets an "A" grade from me. I like the format the layout was good. It was smaller, but the correct types of destinations and vendors were there. If we can grow upon this it would be great. KUDOS to Jim Sugarman. I hope it proves successful for you. Bottom line I know it's a business venture and expenses have to be met before profits can be realized. This group is passionate about the outdoors what ever the venue might be and it is varied. Tap the resources and allow us where we can to help it grow and expand.
Denny
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #232 (permalink)

I missed the "Shamoooooo, the carpet cleaner, and the glue" you use once and then it fuses shut forever. Like most have been saying, the show was smaller but more defined. Geared to the sportsman and not a flea market environment. Lot's of kids, that was great to see. It took time to as bad as it has been in the past. It'll take a little time to get better again. I had fun. Thanks for the ticket Jim and Ed.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #233 (permalink)

Just got back and I did have a chance to thank Jim. I sat thru Iconelli's seminar and found it entertaining and informative. Enjoyed the hunting dog expo. Got some Bud and beef jerky. Missed the bikini ice fishing team. But all in all a good show. Kinda nice you don't have to see the sham wows, and jewelery polish etc. I almost bought a new anchor (still may do it online) and got some good info on charters, gun, and bow clubs. Also there was a pretty good cover band playing at the entrance while we were leaving.
Jim,
If this show is a success and you plan on bringing it back next year the one thing I would love to see again is more manufactures. I know others would probably agree. Sebile had a big tank set up demonstrating their lures' actions. Kinda makes you want to go and buy Sebile lures. I didn't see any other "major" lure mfg. there.
Also, it seems the only lodges thet show up anymore are the canadian lodges. I think it's more cost effective for them because of the All Canada Show and Musky Show (forgive my ignorance but are those shows still around)In the past, my son, father and I would attend the show and book a bass fishing trip in a different location every year during my sons spring break. The lodges from the southern states don't attend anymore.
Keep the seminars!
Enjoyed the show and hope to see you again next year.

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #234 (permalink)

Babe Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 AM   #235 (permalink)

I won't get the chance to go this year due to various issues but from what I've been reading I like what I hear about the kids having fun.I consider myself a fairly young guy with a son and the first thing I thought about was whether I would bring him along.While I could spend all day looking at fishing gear,kids aren't that entertained.It's not easy getting kids hooked on fishing and the outdoors.That's why I like hearing about all the kids activities.For a lot of dads this is a great opportunity to bond with their kids.Looking forward to next year.
Bossofbeefbowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #236 (permalink)

Default Show

Went to the show on Saturday and the kids had a pretty good time. The show seemed pretty small compared to years past. I was a little disappointed that there weren't many boats there and very few manufactuers. But I was glad a lot of the crap was gone. Hopefully this will be a year to build on and the show can continue to get better and better each year.

One suggestion would be to eliminate the deer processing out in the open. I thought this may have been a little upsetting to the families with kids. I was kinda surprised that the 10 year old boy that went with us commented that "it was wrong to have that there". I hunt and clean my own game so I understand that this was trying to be an informative seminar but thought maybe they could have had it curtained off.

Overall I was pretty happy and thought that the shuttle bus from the train was a great idea as I saw lots of people taking advantage of this. Thanks for all your hard work Jim and I look forward to next years show.

Wingmann17
wingmann17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #237 (permalink)

Bakini's Grrrr How awsome was that show
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #238 (permalink)

Ok... been two years since I last attended. He's on the right track.
But I must agree that more resorts from around our area or in the southern states need to be present. And more tackle mfgrs! The seminars were good... caught Babe's seminar and he actually ran over 1/2 hour and could go one for another, but was very informative, need more of this Saw lots of kinds, and thats a good sign, get them interested and more family orientated and that will bring more people to attend. I remember when the whole building was full, boats here, tackle there, and dealers here. Hopefully as the economy gets better and more leisure dollars are available and business picks up, this show will will get to what it used to be. Great job! I'll be back next year
STRIPERJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #239 (permalink)

I went knowing the show is a work in progress and based on the fact the owner came on here sincere and asking for input, I went to check it out. The layout made good use of the space and cetainly kept the isle crowding way down. I picked up some baits at guides choice pro shop and got a free baitcaster with my purchase. That was cool. I like the "sex sells" thing as eye candy was much more abundant than in the past, even some right when you walked in and filled out the giveaway form. I have no doubt this will get back to where it was in the past.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #240 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hgmeyer
Default Good show....

Certainly on the right track! Saw several old friends from the show circuit. Came away with the "good" feeling that will get me back next year. As I posted earlier... If possible, find a way for local clubs to participate... Maybe a "shared" booth at a reduced cost... Heck even tucked into a corner someplace not real desirable.
hgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in