lake bloomington 1/30/03 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2003, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default lake bloomington 1/30/03

I had to wait on the partner so nothing better to do. I drill a couple holes right over his hot bluegill spot from last night. Result more fish than I have ever caught in a one hour period ever. 3-4 fish about every minute. 3 greenies (hey. one put up a fight even).
Rest were gills in the 7-8 in range. size limit is 8 so down the hole they went. The straggler shows up just as it slows down.
But we had crappie to catch so out to 16 foot water. Caught about a dozen keepers and some smaller ones. And those yellowies
seemed a little bigger. Lost one that came up quick on vex and hammered the jig felt huge and took up about a foot of red on vex.

I got a Vexing question. When you get a a red screen about 10 ft
thick are these fish catchable? I tried about everything nothing
worked. I thought they were thick enough an accidental snag might tell me something but no luck.

Thanks to Menard's for the $3 sleds I may take back the one I borrowed about 10 years ago now.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to reelman2 Send a message via MSN to reelman2 Send a message via Yahoo to reelman2

Wow, bluefloyd. Sounds like maybe the fish are finally getting hungry out there at Lake Bloomington. I got a report from a co-worker today that said his brother and a buddy really got into them the last couple days also. This was bluegills, but that they were catching a ton of keepers. Guess I'm gonna have to get out there and find where this productive water is at.
So have you decided if you will be coming up north on Saturday? I am taking off early from work Friday night so can start heading north at dark thirty. LOL
Old 01-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well you are going to have to really talk me into it at this point.
Lots of stuff going on.

The guy that drives around in that Dodge pickup, green with yellow lettering, has a funny way of measuring bluegills. He measures them as you have them. A fresh caught 8 incher is probably hanging a lot closer to 7 froze stiff.

Had a couple camera guys around today they walked around most of the south end. Hope your co workers' brother and buddy aren't from peoria area and can't shut up and no volume control. Between the cell phone and the jabber I was about beat from those two. Plus think at least one was one of the springtime villians with a haircut. The patter was familar. They weren't there today I was going to ask them about last spring

I think the fish are just starting to bite. Tried a Zip today.
Attracts fish gets pecked no catches though

Old 01-30-2003, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to reelman2 Send a message via MSN to reelman2 Send a message via Yahoo to reelman2

What is the incident from last spring?

Well if you decide to head up there will see ya on Saturday, if not will let you know how we do (or don't do) when I get back.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

2 guys 1 girl taking about 125 crappies a day sometimes twice a day out of lake. never heard if they were caught or lynched or
worked for Ryan. made a lot of people a little unhappy.

Old 01-30-2003, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default lake bloomington ice?

blufloyd how much ice you have down there on lake bloomington?Might try to get down Sunday to fish for some gills or crappie.Have any luck for walleye?Some tips on location and bait presentation would be appritiated.Maybe run into you.THANKS
fooman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2003, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Earlier this week on Monday I was running into around 6 - 8" at any of the places I tried. If you know where Starkey Park is located near the South end of the lake, that area has been fairly popular. Otherwise, just try to find some structure of some sort in about 15-20 FOW. Might find some gills a bit shallower than that, just remember they have an 8" min length limit on bluegill at Bloomington.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ice is plenty thick now 8-12. Walleye? never caught one longer than 8in. There is some deeper water in lake but the Vex says it dead water. Weather won't affect it much unless pours.
I got quite a workout with those gills, shoulders feel it this am
and its not from drilling holes. spike rule....
Off visiting mom, Sun. We left a few holes where you can find them.
Stay east of the yellow slide and straight south of the mansion.
Have fun leave some.

Old 02-01-2003, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well I can't get a positive ID on the poachers but i would have to
say the profile sure fits. There was 3 today. (1/31) Gabby and another couple. At least it didn't sound like they were catching fish. left at 3

We got out about 1, fish were a little late about 4. Had the biggest crappie so far, a hole filler, and messed up the bare hand grab through hole.

Got to rig a few shrimpos for Sat. action.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

It was nice to meet you reelman2, hope you get that auger fixed. We ended up keeping 15 crappie out of that area. We didn't keep any gills. We caught a lot of 7 1/2 inch gills and even a few that were that were 8 inches. Maybe we'll see you again out there.
mrszewczyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in