Obtaining a title for an abandoned boat? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jasons8387
Default Obtaining a title for an abandoned boat?

Hello all,
I've got a friend who is a member at a local sportsmans club. There were several abandoned boats from past members auctioned off earlier this spring, some of whose owners were contacted and others whose owners were not. Unfortunately, my friend does not have any contact with the previous boats owner. This boat is probably a 30 year old john boat, no idea how long it had been laying there, but he would like to properly title it with the state. Any idea how to go about this? Thanks.
jasons8387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/boats.htm

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know if it is the same local club that I am a member of, but we have had different results. I may have the details wrong, but my understand is that it has ranged from no problem and a new title and threats of criminal penalties. I think our club finally said for the DNR to come and pick up the boats because you can't even legally sell them for scrap without a title. It seems to be one of those things where it depends on which guy you get and his understand and interpretation of the law. Good luck, and if you find anything out, let me know.

Joe, your link didn't work.
SpinnerMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jasons8387

Thanks for the response. Looks like the club didnt go about the sale in a completely lawful way.
jasons8387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

The link works now

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is a pain in the rear. Think about it. If it was easy to do, people would steal boats like crazy, title them, and resell them.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joematousek
The link works now
Thanks. I didn't read all of it, but it looks straight forward. There are some hoops, but there should be. Certainly looks like somebody didn't get their ducks in a row because it seems like the procedure is there. Although from the second hand information, the DNR should have been able to explain what needed to be done to get rid of the abandoned boats, which is all our club was trying to do. I think it was both sides not doing their homework.
SpinnerMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Everything on the process you want to know can be found here. From how to legally sell and how to obtain a title in illinois.

Hope this helps.

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/admin/Final%20Abandoned.pdf
seuss79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's not as hard as you may think. Simply mail the state a letter saying that the boat was from out of state and used on private property. I bought my first boat from a storage place where the guy defaulted on his payments. I didnt have titles and the boat was too old to read the hull id #'s. They will send you a new title and id #'s to put on yourself.
herpin1579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpin1579
It's not as hard as you may think. Simply mail the state a letter saying that the boat was from out of state and used on private property. I bought my first boat from a storage place where the guy defaulted on his payments. I didnt have titles and the boat was too old to read the hull id #'s. They will send you a new title and id #'s to put on yourself.
It may be that easy, if it's not true and the boat has an IL state vin # it may toss up a few flags. Maritime laws regarding abandonment and leans are very much in favor of the possible lien holder or party in possesion. If the boat may have been title - registered in IL I would ask the sportsmans club for a letter on their letter head stating the abandonement, lenght of time stored before sale and the lack of contact or response from the owner over that time. Hopefully they have a policy on how long a boat can be stored without contact or payment before it would be sold. Add that to your application and it should answer any questions they might have.
Big Rod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in