Asian Carp/Goby update-Carp Lecture and MW outdoors article - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PowernFinesse
Default Asian Carp/Goby update-Carp Lecture and MW outdoors article

Hey guys, I know everyone feels differently about the carp, but the Shedd is havign a FREE lecture on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. on the carp and its life history, and will include biologists from across the country and even some city planning officials. Maybe we'll all get some much deserved information about this species and get to voice our opinions as fisherman. I'm definetely going and might bring my goby study for some of the scientists to look at. Maybe they'll let me study under them and get my masters. It should be a very informative lecture.

In other news, I've read MW outdoors for years and sent Gene Laulenen a message asking him if I could write for them. Well the man himself sent me a message back saying he'd like to see my work. So I'm going to send him two articles I wrote and see if they accept them. I'm hoping I get an e-mail back from Mr. Laulenen saying, "I like your article. In fact, it's a keeper!"
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach
PowernFinesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Asian Carp/Goby update-Carp Lecture and MW outdoors arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowernFinesse
Hey guys, I know everyone feels differently about the carp
I hate them all, gobmeisters and carp. I'm racial. I hate the asian variety more and hope they never get to enjoy Lake Michigan the way we all do.

I hope it pans out for you and you get what you are looking for for your studies. If you ever discover any info on the alleged round goby defense gravy, please post it.
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

If fisherman show up and have valid questions, it really says something positive about us. And I actually ran into and got to fish with Big Saw in Waukegan at Fin's seminar. Gobies will secrete a slime in certain situations like he said last fall. Score one for the Saw man and whoever else brought the slime up when I was doing my study.

I can't fully explain it because I haven't studied it, but it could be what ichtyologists refer to as an "alarm substance", which species of fish secrete when they are taken out of the water, or something is amiss. This isn't limited to gobies as it is common in many fish species, but gobies will secrete extra slime or external semiviscous fluid if their nervous system tells them they are in danger. They also have that black spot on their dorsal fins that acts as a deterrent for predators. Those fish are really something else.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach
Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for verifying what a lot of us at the lake front were aware of regarding slime. I know there are a lot of fish that use that excretion thing as a defense mechanism. I know that a lot of Baltic Sea fish, which I think is where gobies originate, utilize similar defense techniques. Good luck with your possibilities of continued study regarding fish in general. It was a pleasure to fish with you , maybe again sometime.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Asian Carp/Goby update-Carp Lecture and MW outdoors arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonG
If you ever discover any info on the alleged round goby defense gravy, please post it.
I'm still waiting for it...

We need something besides an anecdotal experience of one Lake Michigan angler. Dang near all fish have slime. Who's able to judge which fish you catch are scared and which are happy to meet you?

Gobies are one of the most prolific species of fish with over 2000 varieties. The only thing remotely similar I could find on this was for a single brightly colored salt-water type of goby. I'm asking specifically about the round goby, the ones we catch here.

I could care less who's "right or wrong" on this. I wouldn't have brought the issue up again, if so. 'Just looking for something published, 'can't find anything and it's probably because it's not happening.

Do I think big saw has some absolutely goofy ideas about fishing? Absolutely! But I'd actually celebrate if he's not nuts on this one. I'd also celebrate if my belief that, this is all hogwash, is shown to be correct.

Even from the man of science who just said, "It could be" and "I can't explain it" and "I haven't studied it" gives me NO confidence that there's nothing more here than normal fish slime involved. I've found nothing scientific to prove there isn't. (normally scientific journals have no need to waste words writing about things that aren't) It sure would be nice if the proponents of this "theory" had something to post as proof.

I'll keep waiting... (and will celebrate to have the correct answer someday)
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

RonG- After a weeks timeout, virtually your first post back is off topic and a reintroduction of an argument from the past? Do you just NOT get it? Un-freakin believeable. Gone again. Now back to the TOPIC posted, which was about a forum on Asian Carp.
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a feeling Dr. Jude will be there and he studies invasives extensively. He actually helped me with my gobies so hopfully I'll run into him. But yea, lecture is at 6:30 tomorrow, dunno how long it will last. I'll try and take notes and post some of the stuff said for those who can't make it.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Powern, I wish I could make it to the Shedd but I have some sales appts I cannot cancel. If you remember please ask the following question regarding the carp. "Are any studies being done that would genetically kill the invasives and not harm other fish?" Thanks Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in