Trolling motor breakaway mounts? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trolling motor breakaway mounts?

Does anyone know if there is a breakaway mount that is made for transom mount trolling motors? I have a Haswing 55# transom mount motor and the bracket was broken out at Busse a few weeks back. I repaired it somewhat and it was working okay until I broke it partially again out on the Mazon River yesterday. At this point I'm going to just buy a new Minn Kota bracket to replace my broken one and after that look into selling the Haswing and buying a Minn Kota with the flexible composite shaft, at the very least. The only transom mount breakaway that I've seen is one of the Minn Kota motors that is I think 24v or 36v, but it's something like $1200 and is WAY overkill for my 14' inflatable KaBoat. By the way, we saw a lot of really big fish in the Mazon! Couldn't tell you what they were but one of my buddies swears that he saw a Musky. I'm extremely skeptical about that. Seems like it might be a good river to fish, but man the water level was about 2.50 feet gauge height and 250 cfs and that is clearly not enough to avoid having to drag your boat past LOTS of big rocks. Maybe if you had a fishing kayak it might be okay, but my boat with three big guys and 100# of gear was really at the limit for navigating the river with a minimum amount of frustration.
kiltedcelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Trolling motor breakaway mounts?

Big fish are long nose gar. River is much deeper once you go a mile North of Pine Bluff Rd. It goes into the Illinois but the last time I was there it looked to be blocked off by debris in one spot. There is another leg that gains a lot of momentum but had a small dam that I turned around before I went over with my jon boat. I believe the Illinois was just over the dam.
Taximan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in