New state wide smallmouth bass regulation - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2003, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Default New state wide smallmouth bass regulation

Don't forget!

There is a new state wide smallmouth bass regulation this year.

Quote:
In streams and tributaries statewide except for the Mississippi,
Ohio,Wabash and Illinois Rivers,all smallmouth bass must be immediately released between April 1 and June 15.
For other times of the year there is also a new site specific regulation for the Fox River.

Quote:
Fox River,McHenry Dam to confluence with the Illinois River
including tributaries,State of Illinois (Multiple Counties)
Smallmouth Bass ...........1 Fish 12" or over,and 2 Fish
under 12" Daily Creel Limit
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2003, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ed,

Let me see if I understand this - If I'm fishing anywhere on the FOX below McHenry (which I always do) I can start keeping smallies starting June 15th?!

Is there any reasoning behind this? I thought that you couldn't keep ANY smallies from the Fox along the middle stretch of the river to protect it and keep it a great smallie fishery.

If you could give me the heads up, that would be great, Ed.
Dave
wonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

A 5 year program was instituted with special management zones.
Those zones regulations started below the S. Elgin dam.
The 2 zones had restrictions of catch and release only and the other one was a 14" minimum length requirement.
North of the S. Elgin dam there were no restrictions (a control zone) and the state wide regs governed.

The results from these regulations showed that they didn't have any affect on populations or size of smallmouth in the river.
This is the reason for giving the new regs a shot.
Larger smallies are easier to catch in the spring so they have put into effect the C&R regulation.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, Ed. Thank for the information. It's interesting to know a little bit of hte reasoning behind the laws that we have on the river. I hope that the smallies aren't going to be hurt too bad with the new regulation.

I know that the Fox will be missing one smallie to me! :P I'm going to get a little one for my tank.

Thanks Ed,
Dave
Old 04-21-2003, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

WHY THE **** WOULD ANYBODY KEEP A SMALLIE IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?!

PLEASE PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE NEED TO ENHANCE OUR FISHERIES.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2003, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe you didn't read the sentence afterwards - for my fishtank

Quote:
The results from these regulations showed that they didn't have any affect on populations or size of smallmouth in the river.
So I have three reasons why I would keep a small smallie:

1) The quote above
2) The law allows me to
3) Because I want a smallie in my fishtank

I'm for catch and release for the most part, but I have taken a few fish for the table a couple for my tank.

I understand where you are coming from - this site being a HUGE CPR promoter - but remember that I am still playing within the boundries of the law. A law that was implemented because a 5 year study suggests that a small creel limit would not adversely affect the smallmouth population on the Fox.

Dave - just keeping it real
Old 04-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its all good. I just dont think the scientists at the DNR monitor things closely enough. It is a delicate balance between our freedoms and overharvesting. As long as it is within the bounds of the law you are certainly allowed to- I cant argue that.

I just get more aggravated at the types who consistently take fish and poachers. Especially from waters where there is a lot of pressure. (which is most water)

For example, there is a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET pond in my neighborhood that regularly produces bass over 6lb. There is NOOOOOO reason to me to take a fish out of that pond. If word spread about that pond, and every yahoo took the fish home to his tank or for his wall then it would be a lousy fishing spot.

I am certainly not trying to start an argument or be controversial. I think we are both talking about the same thing here.

Tight lines
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2003, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Old 04-21-2003, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was wondering...If all of the water was drained out of the Fox River, would we find the bottom littered with little milk cartons with pictures of missing fish on them?? And when we release the fish, and the fish goes and tells all his fishy friends about being taken up out of the water into a bright light and being poked and examined and returned...do all of the other fishies laugh at him?? Just wondering...
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2003, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'll stand here and vouch for Wonny(Dave) on this one! That's one angler that's strictly CPR!!!!!! I've fished with him and never have seen him keep anything nor do I.

PndPr64
PondProwler64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in