I'm pissed or The DNR and perch/any fishing Lake Michigan and poaching - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm pissed or The DNR and perch/any fishing Lake Michigan and poaching

What a joke.

I fish Lake Michigan more than any other body of water. I've seen what has happened over the last 30 years. I am appalled.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0903210420.htm

It's over, put a fork in it. All of the talk by anyone associated with the DNR is meaningless until they can come up with a solution to the zebra and quagga mussel invasion. The decline of the perch, smelt and alewife population is a direct correlation to their arrival. Yes, the salmon have devoured a ton of smelt and alewifes, but there is little for young perch, alewifes and smelt to consume.

Water clarity that was once limited to a couple of feet is now crystal clear down to twenty.

The DNR director's job has long been outsourced to political shills. Under Bruce Rauner, with the appointment of Wayne Rosenthal, even though Rauner promised different, is more of the same.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/outdoors...idnr-confirmed

While these dopes sit around and try to limit bag limits and implement meaningless restrictions (6/15 perch season).

The damage is done and nothing is going to change it.

Here is some info from Wisconsin.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdo...252568281.html

"But since the perch crash, fewer people pursue the tasty fish. In 1992, anglers caught 886,496 perch in the Wisconsin waters of Lake Michigan, including 346,117 alone in Milwaukee County, according to DNR figures. In 2013, anglers caught 8,830 perch in Lake Michigan, lowest on record."

While I don't advocate poaching, for the first time ever, I am considering it. Due to the fact that there is no realistic chance of getting caught and that the impact of bag and season limits is of zero consequence, it is somewhat appealing.

Rant over. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Bassalaro Proverb #4: Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will probably sleep with his mom.

Your fishin' pal,

Bassinlarry
bassinlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

BassinLarry - Soon it will be a moot point as the Asian Carp takes over the great lakes waterways in a matter of 10 to 15 years. The DNR has not done enough to prevent that disaster also. You would think that the specific DNA of the offending species could be targeted to to prevent reproduction thus reducing or eradicating the threat. That probably won't happen until those fish start to jump on all those expensive Yachts, now will it. When it affects the rich things will get done fast. Until then it's the middle finger to the the majority of us from the government. I guess we don't give enough money to the polititians to bend there ears.
`..`..`. ><(((((((((>
SNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hopefully the smallmouth help fill the void. We simply don't have the structure on our side to attract much else.

Saw more smallmouth last year than ever before. Hope springs eternal.

Bassalaro Proverb #4: Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will probably sleep with his mom.

Your fishin' pal,

Bassinlarry
Old 05-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Perch season is closed ? I been killing 'em at Montrose. What a shocker for me. I've only been fishing for perch a couple months. Guess I'll have to knock it off huh ? Question...What do I do with the freezers full of fillets I have ?

Relax people. Smallies eat gobys, and zebra mussels. The quagga will give way to some other invasive and in time the perch will recover. I'm thinking maybe 2042 !
Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinlarry View Post
All of the talk by anyone associated with the DNR is meaningless until they can come up with a solution to the zebra and quagga mussel invasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNick View Post
BassinLarry - Soon it will be a moot point as the Asian Carp takes over the great lakes waterways in a matter of 10 to 15 years. The DNR has not done enough to prevent that disaster also. You would think that the specific DNA of the offending species could be targeted to to prevent reproduction thus reducing or eradicating the threat.

Both great ideas. I cant believe no one has ever thought of them before!

Seriously, what are you expecting? The government to step in and use their top secret alien technology (reserved for only the most high-profile of threats) or have the DNR fly in on their hoverboards and tune their standard issue death-ray laser beams to the "zebra mussel" or "asian carp DNA" setting?? You guys watch too many sci-fi movies.

The threat is real, and the ecosystem is changing. There is no doubt about that. However the technology and the science needed to eradicate these threats without destroying everything else in the process has not even been discovered yet. Until that technology is available the ecosystem will continue to change. Either it will hit a saturation point and the ecosystem with stabilize and adapt, or an entirely new ecosystem will develop.

In the meantime, better fill that bucket with perch while you still can Larry. Maybe afterwards you can post your first ever fishing report about it here! X 38

Last edited by Yak Man; 05-11-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yakitty, there have been perch "summits." Which is the biggest strokefest outside of a strokefest.

You are 100% correct that nothing can be done and all the talk is meaningless. Reducing bag limits or fishing seasons is meaningless as well. It has zero impact. This was apparently lost on you.

Maybe what we'll see is an emergence of smallmouth? However, we are on the crap side of the lake. Very little structure aside from harbors, shorelines and breakwalls. What kind of a fishery do you expect to emerge?

Don't even get me started on how much money was wasted on lake trout. Who really gives a rat's ass about lake trout?

It's just a shame that it has come to this. I get it, industry and commerce are most likely always going to trump ecological and sportsmen's needs especially when it comes down to something as vast as the Great Lakes.

The DNR claiming that they listened to the "needs of fishermen" in creating the 6/15th season is the biggest load of crap. Often the season, for shore guys, is winding down by then.

I have little respect for the DNR. They really are a bunch of idiots.

Here's a fishing report. Coho are still being caught at the lakefront, some perch are around. Bass are staging in every lake in Illinois all the way up to Sturgeon Bay. Pike are hitting in Gurnee and Legend075 caught a salmon back in July of 2012.

Also, I got my lovah back. Report to follow.

Your fishin' pal,

Bassinlarry
Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinlarry View Post
Here's a fishing report. Coho are still being caught at the lakefront, some perch are around. Bass are staging in every lake in Illinois all the way up to Sturgeon Bay. Pike are hitting in Gurnee and Legend075 caught a salmon back in July of 2012.

Thank you for the update!

Is the spoon bobber bite still hot?? I cannot afford those fancy Chinese crankbaits, but I do have a few red and white bobbers I can use. Please advise.
Yak Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

As I posted a year or two or eight ago. The DNR should have closed perch March 1st through the 15th of May.. Duh...that is when spawning occurs. Would that have made a difference ? It might have prolonged the inevitable demise of perch. The Quagga is the real problem as earlier stated in this post. Unlike the Zebra mussels they are much more prolific and inhabit deep water as well as shallow. They consume MASSIVE amounts of plankton and other nutrients that perch fry need to survive. It's a dilemma for sure. We do need to find a way to begin to eliminate the Quagga mussel. As for the boon in smallmouth, that's not a bad thing. They are a great species to target ! I think the DNR as a political body sucks, but the men and women that work there are underfunded and as a result understaffed. They are generally good, concerned, and helpful individuals. Will the perch rebound ? Keep the faith.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

We could always go look for shipwrecks http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/28...recks-from-sky

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in