Stalking the stealthy night bass - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stalking the stealthy night bass

My best fishing outing ever, midnight at a nearby rock quarry. 65 degrees, crystal clear water, no wind whatsoever, armed with a black booyah buzzbait, a f-13 floating rapala, and a big black booyah boo bug. 7' all star rod, shimono stradic reel.

I first tried the rapala. I cast it out and let it sit about 30 secons, after that i gave it a tiny twitch, just enough to disturb the water. I thought i heard somthing but all the sudden somthing about yanked my hand off. Cought a 7lb largmouth, 24 inches and i didnt even hear it take it off the surface. Let me remind you this is an Illinois largmouth! This was my first cast! I had never cought a bass within 2 lbs of this one. i cought another 3 lbder after about 5 minutes and decided to switch lures.

I went to the buzzbait. Decided to make alitle more racket. First cast about a 6 - 6 1/2 lb largmouth clobered it! I was amazed that i had never thought about fishing at night before. Its when all the hogs feed when there arent 10 people throwing their lures at it. After a couple of 12-14 inch largmouth and even smallmouth i decided to try the jig.

I tied on a 3/8 ounce black booyah with a dark brown craw trailer. I cast it out and on the fall i felt a twitch. Set the hook to feel nothing. I felt it again, SET THE HOOk to feel nothing, what going on here? A bat mistook my line for a bug and got its foot tangle up in the line. After i got rid of the bat i went back to fish fishing and somting twitched my jig again but this was a fish i was sure of it, set the hook. Turned out to be a 13 inch crappie. After the crappie i got a few 8-10 inch rockbass and some more 10-14 inch bass.

I have yet to get back to the quarry after closing due to some problems with kids partying there, it usually is patrolled after dark now.

If you have a clear lake or pond near you that you cant get the fish to like your stuff you should hit it after dark. Find as many black topwaters as you can you might be surprized. I cought the biggest largemouth and the biggest crappie of my life in 2 hours of fishing. Not to mention it is super quiet, cool, and calm. Perfect to calm yourself down after a bad day.
priegelienie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tikimahn

Which quarry? I know a few, i aint had the balls to go night fishin fear of losing my gear, iv already lost one full expensive tackle box thanks to a disgruntled girlfriend.
Tikimahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

lol yeah usually looking for headlights ruins the night of fishing, its a quarry that opened about 4 years ago in big rock, i live about a half mile from it

its right off jerico rd

all i say is is USED to go there at night, cops patrol it throughout the night now... the cop that closed the gates at night lived on my road and gave me permission but he moved..

are any of the quarreys you live around public?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, I wish I had a couple of those places around me.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know the quarry and have seen and caught some of those big bass too Even though it is C&R, the fishing seems to get worse every year now. Lots of pressure, and unfortunately some people can't read the signs
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Umm iv got Lemont Quarries somewhere near me i don't know where its at, cal sag quarries is not to far, and iv got some rockpit quarry or somethin on 11th and southwest behind taco bell thats gov. property but word is theres some big fish.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd like to sneak into Lake Atwood at night. I've caught some pigs there very early in the a.m.
SmallieJonze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2006, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

All i say is (and im sure everyone knows just putting it out there) if you sneeking in somwhere- no cars, no noise, no one else, no litter, and obide the creel limit. have respect
Old 08-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

<strictly catch and release, not a big fan of freshwater fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in