Joliet fisherman - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tikimahn

Nah man, iv only seen them, i usually go out for bass on a medium action pole with 8 pound test, so i can't take care of anything like that. Umm id prolly look up maybe big fish tackle and rigs, cuz i duno, the only thing i can think of woud to use a saltwater rig. You know big stiff rod, with a heavy line and an even heavier usually steal leader, you wouldn't need steel obviously but youd proly want it for strength. Dunno what they'r eatin man, id prolly say use a nice size treble and just wad the thing up with worms, i dunno im not a carp man, but iv seen em and they'r huge, they'v gotta be record carp. Iv seen 2 or 3 of them all of them were massive but different in size.
Tikimahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tikimahn

O yea, iv seen some nice smallies come out of the Dupage in plainfield right on lilly cache, under the bridge, saw a monster cat too. IF you wanna know some nice spots but you gotta be careful with them, is the ponds in the subdivisions in plainfield. My guy lives in sunset ridge i think, and the ponds have some nice fat baass, and some monster gills.
Tikimahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses! Cambellkid, River Wader, Esox Diver, we'll have to get out on the DuPage when Spring shows it's face. The Kankakee looks very inviting too. It would be nice to meet a couple of new faces in the area. Rock Steady, I have fished the pond behind the YMCA. I did some ice fishing out there a couple of years ago. I got a couple of NICE bass out of there. They all went back in of course. Once we get thru March, and get the new license, I'll be ready to walk the shores of the small ponds and work the rivers. Tikimahn, those carp sound like monsters! I have seen carp get that big. And you're right, you need to use VERY HEAVY tackle. I was fishing 14 lbs test with a rubber worm, for bass, when I hooked up with a 30 lbs carp. Luckily I was use a heavy action rod. Took me a while, but finally dragged it up on shore to get the hook out. I think as far as bait for carp is anything meaty, cheesy or smelly will work, fished right on the bottom. For me, I'll stick to bass fishing. (but thanks for the tip/spot for those big bad boys)
I'll check back in a month or so, when the weather starts to warm. In the mean time, take care guys. Thanks for the input. I look forward to doin' a little fishin' with each of you. Maybe we'll get enough ice for one more shot at hard water fishing?
Talk to you soon! Fishboy
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Joliet?------- If you are having a good time wading in the Du Page river try just east of Joliet in Hickory Creek. Pilcher Park just off Rt30 & Gougar Rd offers smallies and catfish. Your buddy the carp lives there too. Other good spots in Hickory Creek I will keep to myself, but when the weather starts to change get out there and explore. Just be respectfull of private property.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

I tried wading Hickory Creek for the first time early last summer.
something was up with the creek at the time, heavy moss/muck moving with current, and we saw absolutely no signs of fish life. no minnows, frogs, turtles, snakes, or larger fish.
It was almost disturbing.
the creek itself was very clear, which means we muddied downstream with every footstep.

Went in at the park, walked upstream from the road a bit, and then back downstream. water levels were really low, which i'm sure did not help.

Tried going in further up river first, some other park with frisbee golf course, if I recall. Creek was more narrow there, and had some deeper holes on the edges, but couldn't cast without hooking into the greenstuff that was floating on the current.

I'm still very interested in fishing it, but my reaction after the first trip was that there was something not quite right with it.

while keeping your favorite spots to yourself, if there's any suggestions you might have for better luck, toss 'em my way.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

I live in romeoville monday through friday. my real home is in lake villa on the fox chain of lakes. I'm running into the same problem of a lack of places to fish and it doesn't seem like a whole lot of people fish the area. I'm well set up to do pretty much any kind of fishing. that said im up for some fishing around here.
Johnny B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 11:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

heideke and lasalle are close buy. i have a great pond right out infront of my house that is loaded with nice gills and bass. what do you guys think about people that dont live in your subdivision but come there to fish? are homeowners assosiation pays for the upkeep of the pond i dont mind people fishing but really dont think its fair either. what are your thoughts? sometimes they leave cups and bottles around which really gets me mad.
cleotus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cleo,
I would hate having people leaving crap out by the lake too. I do think it should be O.K. for people to fish in any subdivision lake. As long as those people catch and release. It takes a while for those fish to grow in such small lake. Those lakes are stocked and paid for by the association and the people who live in the subdivision. The homeowners privacy and thier property should be respected. As long as those rules are followed, i dont see a problem with catching a few gills with the kids. Do you?
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

i am ok with it as long as they dont leave trash around. the fishing is awsome in the pond. i am worried that the fish my get stunted though. wonder if i should take some of the gills out and put them in a pond behind my house? dont think there is enough food for all the fish. i have caught everything from smallies to gills, to largemouths out of it. some guys even caught some eyes out of there. its reall deep in the middle because i saw it when it was dug. no winter kill in this pond.
cleotus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have to say that I am one of the people that fish a pond that I dont live on. I fish catch and release and dont leave crap laying around when im done. So im in a catch22. If I lived where there was a pond in my sub division i might feel the same way. There are people that just dont care and those are the ones that hurt us. There is a great pond 2 subdivisons over by me that has 3+ pound bass in there but now they have a no fishing signs there even if you live in that sub divission you cant fish it. All because of a few rude people. If there was a system like permit fishing where you pay $5 for the year to fish there that would be fine with me.
But when you only have an hour here and there and no place to fish would really stink.

Cleotus if you want me to show you that not all people that fish your pond are bad let me know where its. If you see a 6'4 330 pound guy fishin there its me hehe
luv2fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in