Joliet fisherman - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Joliet fisherman

I've been living in Joliet for 4 years now. I grew up in Elk Grove, fishing Busse before it was called busse. Salt creek was where I first learned about how to catch a giant carp on doughballs & canned corn!
I've always seeked out little local ponds & quiet creeks or streams to catch and release anything that would bite. When I lived in the northern suburbs, I knew of 100's of places to fish. Any given season or condition.
Now that I'm in Joliet, I only know about 4 places. The West branch of the DuPage river for smallies and a couple of ponds for shoreline fishing for spring largemouths. Is there anyone in the Joliet/Shorewood area, that would point me to some little, out-of-the-way place where I can do my catch and release? Maybe even join me for a day of fishing? My Ice Fishing gear is all ready. Mono leaders, on my tip-ups, for bass thru the ice. I have a Buddy in St. Charles. I could drive all the way up there (we have our spots up there), but I'd like to show him a few spots down here. Just wondering if there's anyone in the area with the same beliefs?
Kirk (fishboy) Lagemann
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

hi boy I've been in channahon for a lil over a year now and realized the area we live in has an amazing amount of fishing spots within 1/2 hour drive time. If you've a set of waders I'd be happy to show you a few spots when the temps jump up some. Never been ice fishing so no help there.

good luck.
cambellkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Cambelkid. I do have a set of waders. They're not the insulated type, so wading in the cold temps might be a little uncomfortable. There is a stretch of the DuPage that produced some real nice smallies. The dog park on Black road. Just south of the Black road bridge, about 50 yards, I was wading in May, with a Mepps silver #1 spinner. There was a deep edge on the East shore. I got about 2-3 nice fish from the same spot. One was a 3 1/2 lbs. I know some guys exaggerate about size, but this was a very big smallie. It was at the time of the season that the slimey green alge starts growing thick. Right time, Right place I guess. I've tried my fly rod also. Didn't put in too much time, but caught some smaller ones. I'm sure down stream there are some better spots, I've just haven't been down ther to scout around. Maybe in spring we could hook up, if you wouldn't mind a tag-along? Keep me in mind please. Thanks for the response. Have a nice holiday! Kirk (Fishboy)
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2005, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

anytime let me know when it is warm enough for ya.

Happy Holidays to you too.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

I seem to do most of my fishing on the dupage and I&M around Channahon, and have started wading the Kankakee a couple of exits further south on I-55.

I do as much wading as I can.

would be interested in joining up in the spring, as well.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

WE WILLDEFINATELY HAVE TO GET OUT ON THE KANK THIS YEAR
Old 01-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd be happy to fish with you. I've lived in Joliet for almost a year now. I'm taking time to look at the forest preserves along the Des Plains river.
Esoxdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 01:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Fishboy. I live in Channahon as well and have been turned on to a few spots. One of the spots id suggest trying is the lake in back of the YMCA on Houbolt rd., right next to JJC. You cant see the lake from houbolt. Its surrounded by trees. You need to park in the YMCA parking lot and walk about 500 yards to the west. Its a good size lake with a lot of nice size largemouth. I caught one in the range of 5-6 pounds last summer. I took my dad out there in December and tried popups with golden roaches and didnt do anything through the ice. Just a few bluegils on waxworms. Have you found any other good ponds or lakes in the area? Ive only been out here a few years myself. Thanks.
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tikimahn

Whats goin on? Im not much of a carp fisherman, but i know a killer spot for some monster carp, im talkin monster carp if you got the rig and tackle big enough for em that is anyways. Its called Cal Sag Quarries, if your in joliet you could get there in prolly 30 minutes, youd just take 55 north and get off on Kingery heading South, take that down about maybe 3 miles, you'll come across a set of 2 or 3 bridges witha light at a funky intersection witha bunch of junkyards around it, go straight from that light and the lake will be on your left after the light, there will be a bridge after the lgith where you can see one side of the lake on your left side, after that is the entrance. Fish the Right side from where you enter cuz theres two different qurries, the right one is deeper and thats where i see the giant carp. Anyways man bring some heavy gear cuz im about 5'8 and these things are nearly as big as me, no shittin. Iv seen them chillin in the shallows under some lillies around the first turn and man i saw the eye of this thing in an opening and it was big as a baseball. When they take off it loks like a motor boat. Good Luck, lemme know if you have any luck if you do go.
Tikimahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey tiki..have your fished for these carp personally? If so, how would u recommend fishin'em?
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in