ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Kankakee under I-55...

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Yak Man 
#1 ·
was driving back from a wknd getaway in st louis... & noticed (amidst the tornados i had to dodge sunday) that there was a huge (almost lake like feel) to the Kankakee near Wilmington... water wasn't flowing much... was just kind of a huge pool... i've always heard of the wilmington dam... & was wondering if that's what this was attributed to...

Furthermore, if the Pike & Walleye fishing is good there... if so... anybody know of any spots to get off that exit & go down & fish?

thanx in advance

#2 ·
the Kankakee under I-55 is actually pretty swift, shallow, and rocky. Never fished that spot myself, but there might be some access off of Lorenzo Rd??

Just north of the Kankakee crossing is the Desplaines, that also flows under I-55. This river sounds much more like the water you are describing. There is quite a bit of boat traffic around this area. You can launch at the Big Basin there.

#3 ·
I just drove over the K3 and I-55 today. Te water is pretty high, so I can see what you might be talking about. But don't be fooled. At normal pool, the water is pretty low there, and you can see all the rocks and boulders sticking out of the water from the bridge.

#4 ·
Yak Man said:
I just drove over the K3 and I-55 today. Te water is pretty high, so I can see what you might be talking about. But don't be fooled. At normal pool, the water is pretty low there, and you can see all the rocks and boulders sticking out of the water from the bridge.
thanx for the feedback bro... holy shit if that isn't a huge fish u got there, is that muskie? where did u catch that big boy.. & what were the official measurements on em

#6 ·
DaBidness said:
thanx for the feedback bro... holy /censor if that isn't a huge fish u got there, is that muskie? where did u catch that big boy.. & what were the official measurements on em
Thanks! Yea, its a musky. I caught her on lake Vermillion, MN. We had a folding bumpboard, and she measured 55" on the dot. Didnt get a weight on her, because we were trying to get her back in the water as quickly as possible.

Ive had a lot of success on that lake up there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.