Abu Ghraib prison scandel vs Berg murder, & the liberals - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Abu Ghraib prison scandel vs Berg murder, & the liberals

Over the last couple of weeks, much has happened regarding Iraq.
But two things stand out above the others.....

First, there was the abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison. Some aberrant soldiers got out of line... and now they're having to face our justice system, and pay the price for their illegal behavior. That's how Americans handle wrong-doing. That's what makes us strong.

The other incident that stands out was the brutal slaying of American businessman Nicholas Berg by al-Qaeda terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, apparently in retaliation for the Abu Ghraib abuses. Al-Zarqawi was filmed tortuously decapitating Berg while his fellow goons shouted "God is great!"

Which of these occurrences do you find more despicable? If you're a typical patriotic American, you were angry at the abuses by a few wayward soldiers and glad they're being brought to justice; but you were OUTRAGED at Berg's beheading by brutal Muslim extremists, something that's typical of the enemy we're facing.

But if you're a partisan Democrat or a member of the liberal mainstream media , just the opposite is true, at least if you go by the statements of these Democrats and the coverage of the media.

While Sen. Ted Kennedy's claims that "Saddam's torture chambers reopened under new management -- U.S. management" got broad coverage, liberal news networks and newspapers gave only passing coverage to Berg's horrible murder.

Why? Because Berg's murder only proves that we really ARE at war with terrorists, and that doesn't do anything to hurt President Bush. The prison abuses, on the other hand, can be harped on by liberals looking for an excuse -- ANY excuse -- to body-slam the President and his team on the war on terror.

Berg's grisly murder was news for maybe a day. The prison abuses are STILL at the top of the page of the New York Times and the Washington Post, and STILL the lead story for Dan Rather and Peter Jennings.

Conservative Senator Zell Miller (D-GA) made a brief speech on the floor of the Senate this past week, and he was BLUNT about just this topic. He did his own "body-slamming" of those he calls the "Hand-Wringers of America" -- just take a look:

"Those who are wringing their hands and shouting so loudly for 'heads to roll' over this seem to have conveniently overlooked the fact that someone's head HAS rolled - that of another innocent American brutally murdered by terrorists. Why is it? Why is it that there's more indignation over a photo of a prisoner with underwear on his head than over the video of a young American with no head at all?"

AMEN, Sen. Miller.

" I'm EVERYWHERE, Focker."
Crazy Joe Devola is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had this same conversation with my more liberal friend & neighbor. His take on the media ignoring the Berg murder was "that is what is to be expected from terrorists."

I was kind of taken off guard by that one!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is that how he felt on 9/11? Wow, I thought a true "liberal" would have more compasion towards the brutal death of a fellow American.

I bet if the victim were a homosexual, and beaten by a bunch of skinheads, on American soil, he'd be outraged. And probably blame Bush.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

because:

Actions like our handling of prisinors will guarantee that Nick Berg will not be the last American to be tortured and killed.

Also, you Right wingers seem unwilling to face the fact that orders to torture prisoners came from the top-Rummy himself. It is not a case of "a few bad soldiers"

Did you know that under the war crimes act of 1996, anyone caught breaking the Geneva convention rules could be prosecuted, including the death penalty? Even Government officials. Rummy has alot to answer for.

I don't believe Bush had knowledge of the abuse, because as a puppet, he is on a "need to know" basis with info from the real power-Rummy, Row, and Dr. Evil (Cheney)
fishstalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2004, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Surprise, Surprise......a liberal who had several paragraphs to say about the prisoner abuse story, including reducing himself to name-calling of elected officials, but only one thing to say about Berg's murder, and all he said about that was this: it's OUR fault. Blame America.

Again, said it before, say it again....Al Quada sees $h!t like this, the 9/11 commission, and all the finger-pointing blame ourselves propaganda, and they've got to be lickin' their chops.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

what is there to say about Nick Berg's murder? It is dispicable, and shows that the Iraqi people are not able to govern themselves or organize into a useful society. The last great socio accomplishments they had was during the time of Babylon, over 3000 years ago.

But...
since when is America lowered itself to their level? Since Bush and Rummy took office. THAT is what I object to.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstalker
because:
Did you know that under the war crimes act of 1996, anyone caught breaking the Geneva convention rules could be prosecuted, including the death penalty? Even Government officials. Rummy has alot to answer for.
I think you better re-read the War Crimes act.

Also, according to the Geneva Convention, these prisoners did not meet the requirements for POW status, thus, the Geneva Convention does not apply to them.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think you better re-read the War Crimes act.

Also, according to the Geneva Convention, these prisoners did not meet the requirements for POW status, thus, the Geneva Convention does not apply to them.[/quote]

Sooooo.you're saying that makes it ok if we (the US) lowers ourselves to the level of the animals we're trying to kill.
Wallyeye is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
what is there to say about Nick Berg's murder? It is dispicable, and shows that the Iraqi people are not able to govern themselves or organize into a useful society. The last great socio accomplishments they had was during the time of Babylon, over 3000 years ago.

But...
since when is America lowered itself to their level? Since Bush and Rummy took office. THAT is what I object to.
F.T. The people who kidnapped NicK Berg are not Iraqi's. Secondly, how arrogant can you be to assume the Iraqi's are incapable of self government??? This is liberal hogwash and was also said about the Japanese, Germans, and even the Philippines. To think that we are so above all other humans in inteligence and only we can appreciate freedom is probably the most ignorant statement you've made so far.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2004, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdschoef
Quote:

But...
F.T. The people who kidnapped NicK Berg are not Iraqi's. Secondly, how arrogant can you be to assume the Iraqi's are incapable of self government??? This is liberal hogwash and was also said about the Japanese, Germans, and even the Philippines. To think that we are so above all other humans in inteligence and only we can appreciate freedom is probably the most ignorant statement you've made so far.
think so? If we left Iraq today, the country would explode, and commit national suicide like Lebenan and Somalia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in