Kerry Picks Edwards - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kerry Picks Edwards

Very interesting. Kerry pointed out numerous times in the Primary debates that he questioned Edwards' "experience", stating to the effect that a "one term senator" may not have enough broad experience in the areas of foreign affairs, global economics, and managing our military, to run the country. That Edwards was little more than a southern trial lawyer with just a few yrs of Congressional experience under his belt.

Now Kerry has had a change of heart, and believes that Edwards is worthing of being just one missed beat of his own heart from running the very same country. I really thought Kerry would be bold enough to choose either Gelphart or Bayh. BTW- Evan Bayh is a very moderate democrat from Indiana, one that I would give serious consideration towards voting for in 2008/2012 elections for President, if the DNC could ever rid themselves of the Clintons.

Llet's hear our resident liberals give ANY endorsements for current/future Republican candidates.

Can't wait to hear Kerry defend his comments about Edwards as they are confirmed to be appearing in RNC advertisements in the coming weeks.

" I'm EVERYWHERE, Focker."
Crazy Joe Devola is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

you obviously dont need to be a professional politician or a genius to be VP. Look at Quayle and Cheny, two of the most grossly innefective and borderline criminal VP's ever. Spiro Agnew's got nothing on Dr. Evil.

Personally, I think Edwards would do a great job, maybe better than Kerry. He is tough and smart and takes no BS.
fishstalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quayle.....a "borderline criminal"? Some evidence is in order pls.
I assume "Dr Evil" is Cheany, no? Name calling and criminal accusations, a real touch of class....

The only negative comments I made about Edwards came DIRECTLY from Kerry's mouth. Didn't take long to get name-calling and criminal accusations from the left.

" I'm EVERYWHERE, Focker."
Crazy Joe Devola is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's the nature of politics. During the 2000 campaign, Bush called McCain borderline "crazy", yet Bush is now running ads of McCain introducing Bush at a rally.
Wallyeye is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's true. Unfortunately for the Democrats they have a history of sabotaging their own efforts. Think of Gore and other candidates trying to distance themselves from Clinton in 2000. If Clinton keeps his pants on we are probably looking at Gore running for reelection this year.
JD16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

If McCain ran against Bush or kerry, I'd vote for him!
fishstalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Experience

If there's one thing Dubya has proved, it's that you don't need much experience in anything but kicking back (and taking kickbacks) to be president.

I think 51-year-old Edwards, whom Kerry calls "a man who has shown guts and determination and political skill in his own race for the presidency of the United States," as well as "a man who understands and defends the values of America," is plenty ready to kick Dick Cheney back into his war-profiteering ether, and take over as v.p. -- a job that will afford him plenty of experience in international politics, preparing him amply for the presidency, should some right-wingers manage to impeach Kerry for not admitting he's really Jay Leno's big brother.

It's disheartening to see so much support for Bush, mostly coming from people who can't (or, to be generous, won't) clearly and factually explain their position. He's supposed to be a representative of the American people. But, what has he done for any of us, except the richest families and the biggest corporations?

Some of these discussions in this forum remind me of another all-too-common scenario -- people defending their abusive parents, spouses, etc., out of misspent love and devotion, at their own expense. We're taught to put our own interests second, but when a lot of people start talking and realize that their interests are the same as a whole lot of other Americans (or when the realization is thrust upon them, such as when their employer lays off thousands of people) ... and that those interests are being neglected or betrayed, it becomes clear that something needs to be done. At the bare minimum, their voices need to be heard by the people in charge of government.

Even Cheney admitted, when protesters closed down LSD in Chicago at the beginning of this latest war in the Middle-East, "That's what it's all about." He was referring to people's right to free speech -- which he seemed to be claiming the war in Iraq was about. It isn't, as anybody can see. But anytime we start a war or a "police action" as they like to call them, the people who decided to engage in war use whatever argument they can to convince people to support it.

See Fahrenheit 9/11. It's true that Michael Moore's agenda is clearly to inspire people to vote Bush out of office. It isn't a news program; it's a documentary. Documentaries often are defined by their political position. If he were a journalist running a news program, he would be bound by a code of ethics requiring him to present the information in a completely unbiased manner. Not many news programs today even manage to uphold that standard, not that many ever did. Moore has an agenda, absolutely. But, so do you. Everybody does. Take your own thoughts in with you, and see what you think of what takes place in the movie. Most of it is impromptu filming of things that people say to him because they want to -- the only scripted lines in there, other than the president's speeches, are Moore's questions.

Moore started out long ago writing a small publication dedicated to promoting the rights of auto workers. When they awarded Fahrenheit 9/11 at Cannes, he quipped, "What have you done?" He expresses surprise at every turn, when his efforts reap such enormous success. The reason is that people are looking for leadership, and they're not finding it in the White House. There, they see a puppet son of a rich man who is so out of touch with the American people he has to have his speeches written for him. Sure, that's modern politics, but people need to look up to somebody who has something to say. Something they can get behind. Like jobs, health care, clean water ... perhaps NOT ticking off the UN and the rest of the world ...

I've said my piece. I hope it met with the rules of being original and not using too many swear words. As for openness and honesty, we deserve as much from our supposed representatives in D.C. Here in these forums, complete openness isn't safe. I came to this site, back when, looking for cool people I might see out on the waterways. Much of what I've read here convinces me that I'm best off keeping to myself and staying clear of rocks and out-of-the-mainstream spots. Thanks for the fishing tips, though.

Chime on in. I'll be reading, but I will leave Moore's defense to the citation links posted on his website: www.michaelmoore.com. Kerry and Edwards probably don't want him on their side, necessarily, as his pick for president -- General Wesley Clark -- had to drop out. But most people in the Kerry/Edwards camp can agree that Bush deserves a one-way ticket back to Texas, which is the message of Fahrenheit 9/11.

Sorry I missed the earlier Moore postings -- I was out fishing.

fishingrrl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

fishingrrl, I'm curious to know which posts remind you of someone defending an abusive spouses, parents, etc...?

Please be specific because that is a very harsh thing to say about someone's opinions on political issues.
JD16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2004, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstalker
If McCain ran against Bush or kerry, I'd vote for him!
I think John McCain is one few (perhaps only) politicians in DC with integrity and honor.

Fishstalker, I think this may be the first time I've agreed with you!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Re: Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingrrl
There, they see a puppet son of a rich man who is so out of touch with the American people he has to have his speeches written for him.
Wait...was that Bush or Kerry?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in