Either... - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Either...

Do away with the Political Forum all together, and ban political disussion from this site (it is a fishing site after all) OR STOP LOCKING THE THREADS!!!!! I mean, why bother? Can't handle a little inflammation or dissent? Just get it over already. Ban it, or embrace free speech, none of this locking crap!
fishstalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

One of the few times we agree. This is political discussion. People are gonna argue, this is why you don't bring up politics in many situations in life along with religion and abortion. This was a forum set aside to discuss politics which is always a touchy subject because people are set in their beliefs. Many of the more recent locks seemed to be placed because the issue was not going anywhere. But many of us realize that and try to move to different aspects of the issue . It does not state in the "rules" of this forum that if the issue appears long winded or is "going no where" in the admins opinion, it will be removed or locked. I do think some threads should be locked , mostly due to name calling and people getting personal. I do not think they should be locked because someone is sick of the issue being a revolving door. If the admins think so , let us know and place it in the rules. Not to be a jerk or anything , or nit-pick , but I noticed an admin use blatant profanity in a recent post. Not necessarily a great example when the "rules" say that its prohibited. I for one will follow any rule made to the best of my ability, they just need to be made and followed by all.
bassmastr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

It does get the passion up in many cases on both sides of the issue. The last lock was probably due to my post. This would be the second time I was locked. The first time was warranted, this time was not. I think the political board has lost much of its usefulness when there's pages of nothing but he said she said garbage. It shouldn't be locked when opposing thought's are posted. There was no swearing in my post, and I posted with the same type of sarcasm that the original poster gets away with all the time. So be it!!! I thought I raised a good point. I promise to start sugar coating all my posts as soon as I see equal treatment for all political board posters.

I think ya gotta cut a little slack for the political board, within reason of of course. :wink:
JDSPINNERS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

It wasn't me who locked the other thread, but the political discussion here has turned into a shameful mess. It doesn't seem like anyone here can argue a point without name calling or cut & paste arguments. There have been very few original thoughts or arguments made here in weeks, so posts have been getting locked. I am 100% against eliminating the political discussion forum. That would be another case of taking away an opportunity for others because some people abuse it. Here's a thought, someone start a topic- Why I support Kerry. List only the things you like about him and nothing else. Support your claims with documented facts or statistics. List the source, but keep it in your own words, don't cut & paste. The only rebuttals can be on the facts or statistics listed. Someone else can start "Why I support Bush" all the same rules apply. This is a great country where dissenting voices can be heard, but it must remain civil and productive. This forum hasn't been either, it's up to you to change it, or threads will continue to get locked. Just my 2 cents.
Tubes77 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think any of us disagree that when the "rules" posted by Bob have been broken , the thread should be examined for lock, actually what Bob said was that the persons post would be removed , not the thread. There often times is productive discussion taking place and someone will post with cut and paste , swearing, or name calling. The thread is then locked ending any positive discussion because a certain person was wrong, this is hardly "productive" in itself because it will just get rehashed later in different words by those who still want to debate the issue in a healthy manner. Deeming it unproductive because of an over zealous comment is silly in my opinion. I think that again , it must be kept in mind that we are discussing issues here that people are not just going to give up on and change their opinion. If what the admins are looking for is a "resolution" and meeting of the minds so that the topic ends up in a nice little gift wrapped box , you may as well do just that right now..................eliminate the forum, cause it aint happenin' .
bassmastr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Bm.... Your right!!!! Tube's ..... you are also right. My complaint is that some posts appear to locked much quicker than others depending who the offender is. I am the first to admit my post was harsh, but there's been much harsher that remain unlocked and go for days. I guess I'm just requesting that the rules apply to everyone, not just those who any given moderator may disagree with. :wink:

As the election gets closer, I'm hope there will be new material to discuss instead of the repetition. :wink:
Old 07-11-2004, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bassmaster, you make a good point. It is silly to remove a whole thread because one or two posts get out of hand. On the other hand, it gets pretty time consuming for mods to have to evaluate every single post and determine if it is out of bounds or not. I haven't locked a post here, or anywhere for that matter, in a long time, but I stand by any Moderator's decision. It boils down to a judgement call plain and simple. The reality is that we are all adults here and we know when were crossing the line. At least I'd like to think so. A good argument that doesn't regress into name calling is possible. Watch any of the Sunday morning political discussion shows and while they always have two very opposing contributors, they always know how to be respectful and civil, all the while disagreeing. If they can do it, so can we!
Tubes77 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tube's !!! Maybe you mis-understood, I'm not accusing you of locking posts and I stand behind the moderators too, but also ask that they remain consistent!!! :wink:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in