Poiching on the lakefront 5/24 - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Raptor- That's what I thought too... How? So small? But the results show...

I wonder if they'll sink in these winds and waves?
Jay K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

It is amazing how far you can cast with light line and a 9-10' rod. I've made several rods out of long 3-5 wt. fly blanks that make fantastic bobber/bait/jig rods. You can cast an ice fishing jig and a piece or crawler/minnow a country mile.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Westwind Send a message via MSN to Westwind

Nice haul! Didn't find you out there Monday, but the fishing was awful. 3 rock bass, 1 keeper perch, 5 dinks, and another carp>this time released at the wall.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

very nice great job out there.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Nice Job Rootpro...

Oh, and Mark - nice job as well. Glad to see you've been able to break those those bad live bait habits of yours.

CLP said:

Quote:
Glad to see the water isn't too cold for cranks.
Anyway, I know you had stated to Courtney (formerly Kurt Kaboom) and questioned him this past Friday at the pier that you were under the impression that "Is'nt it too early for shad raps?...or "Is'nt the water too cold to catch them on shad raps?" (paraphrasing here of course). Based on your results in this post I'm assuming you found out first hand that is indeed not too early .

The irony here is incredible...in spite of his diatribes and other garbage that spews from his mouth, Courtney/Kurt Kaboom actually knows a thing or two about shore perch and salmon fishing...glad you were able to apply another good piece of information in your perching tactics (minus the baitcaster of course ). In fact, probably the only time it was considered too early for perch on shad raps was prior to 1983, the year that this lure was introduced to the US market.

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluke

Oh, and Mark - nice job as well. Glad to see you've been able to break those those bad live bait habits of yours.
flukey, my name is mike, not mark. and i also don't have live bait habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluke
glad you were able to apply another good piece of information in your perching tactics (minus the baitcaster of course ).
like i had previously said, that was my ONLY other reel that had line on it and i really wanted to get out and throw the raps. i wanted to bring two outfits to the lake that morning.

but thanks for the comments. see you around
mplant1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mike:
Them are some nice, fat perch!
Thanks for the report, hoping all this bad weather don't mess things up to bad. Keep 'em coming! May try to get some of them delicious fillets for the freezer friday, if the weather cooperates.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

F that.

I've seen well respected crappie fisherman use baitcasters. Thay aint just for bass ya know.

After all, if Mike can get a decent cast out with a lil shadrap on a baitcaster, more power to him. I have a hard enough time doin it pitchin a 1/2 oz. jig n' craw!

Dissing someone's gear is weak anyway (unless it's line wrapped on a beer can - then blast away ), I thought we all learned how to be better than that when we were growing up.

Superfluke:
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
F that.
EdMC - No problem with your reply but most here on this site including the mods could do without your course language reference. That is just a lazy way of expressing how you really feel. This is something I did learn when I was growing up.

Quote:
After all, if Mike can get a decent cast out with a lil shadrap on a baitcaster, more power to him.
Interestingly enough, if you read the thread, you will see that Mike ostensibly agreed with the earlier comments from KurtKaboom/CLP regarding the usage of the baitcaster/powerpro, insofar that it was a less than optimal setup but convenience played a role in his selection of this outfit for the day.

Quote:
Dissing someone's gear is weak anyway (unless it's line wrapped on a beer can - then blast away).
So you draw the line at the level where someone using a beer can wrapped with line is fair game? In the unlikely scenario that Mike did indeed think his best option was a baitcaster/heavy powerpro combo for perch, the thinking is that he might benefit from getting an alternative suggestion such as that mentioned earlier by Courtney. Nothing more/nothing less.

Kurt Kaboom and I met Mike the other day out there. We both agreed that he seems like a nice enough guy who is new to fishing lakefront perch and is quite enthusiastic about learning everything he can about perch fishing. Sharing my opinion about the baitcaster use in a manner where some playful ribbing was involved should not be perceived as a threat to him or especially someone not involved in the situation period.

Quote:
I have a hard enough time doin it pitchin a 1/2 oz. jig n' craw!
Everything is possible with practice (oh, and the right gear)...keep at it and good luck.

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

I hate having to take things to pms.

That's ok, as long as things don't get personal, no blood - no foul.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in